The First Day—AgainHow does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?
Top Music Videos
If another believer sins, rebuke that person; then if there is repentance, forgive (v.3).
Someone close to me (and to those I love) recently
made some poor decisions that affected us all, and
what followed wasn’t pretty. Pain. Grief. Suffering.
Those words capture the essence of the bitter sting
brought by foolish choices.
You’ve been there. We all have. Broken and strained
relationships can haunt our days with all the ragged
emotions and troubled thoughts that they foster.
Fortunately, Jesus provides some words of instruction
that can help us deal with this prickly issue. Let’s follow
along as He takes us from heartache to potential hope
1. Believers in Jesus will be tempted and will sin against
us (Luke 17:1). Although it is never pleasant or desired, our
friends and family will sin against us and fail us in this life.
2. We must lovingly confront the person who has sinned
against us (v.3). It’s not loving to ignore the offense and
simmer in our anger or to return the person’s attacks with
a volley of our own. We must show the radical love of
Jesus as we address the offense with the offender.
3. If the person genuinely repents, we must forgive him
(vv.3-4). True forgiveness can only be extended if the
person who has sinned against us repents. In his book
Jesus and the Gospels, theologian Craig Blomberg writes
that this means individuals must “change their behavior
rather than just apologize.” That’s real repentance.
But what should you do when the person who has
sinned against you refuses to repent? Jesus gives us a single word to take to
heart: obey (v.10). As we continue to deal with those who sin against us, we
can turn the person over to God and simply obey and follow His Word.
We can’t stop someone from making poor and foolish choices, but we can
make godly choices in what follows. —Tom Felten
Read Matthew 18:15
for more insight into how to confront a Christian who has offended you.
How did you respond recently to a believer in Jesus who sinned against
you? What will you do today to follow Jesus and His instruction as you
deal with this broken relationship?
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more