Myth No MoreWhy must God judge His enemies and make things right?
Top Music Videos
If another believer sins, rebuke that person; then if there is repentance, forgive (v.3).
Someone close to me (and to those I love) recently
made some poor decisions that affected us all, and
what followed wasn’t pretty. Pain. Grief. Suffering.
Those words capture the essence of the bitter sting
brought by foolish choices.
You’ve been there. We all have. Broken and strained
relationships can haunt our days with all the ragged
emotions and troubled thoughts that they foster.
Fortunately, Jesus provides some words of instruction
that can help us deal with this prickly issue. Let’s follow
along as He takes us from heartache to potential hope
1. Believers in Jesus will be tempted and will sin against
us (Luke 17:1). Although it is never pleasant or desired, our
friends and family will sin against us and fail us in this life.
2. We must lovingly confront the person who has sinned
against us (v.3). It’s not loving to ignore the offense and
simmer in our anger or to return the person’s attacks with
a volley of our own. We must show the radical love of
Jesus as we address the offense with the offender.
3. If the person genuinely repents, we must forgive him
(vv.3-4). True forgiveness can only be extended if the
person who has sinned against us repents. In his book
Jesus and the Gospels, theologian Craig Blomberg writes
that this means individuals must “change their behavior
rather than just apologize.” That’s real repentance.
But what should you do when the person who has
sinned against you refuses to repent? Jesus gives us a single word to take to
heart: obey (v.10). As we continue to deal with those who sin against us, we
can turn the person over to God and simply obey and follow His Word.
We can’t stop someone from making poor and foolish choices, but we can
make godly choices in what follows. —Tom Felten
Read Matthew 18:15
for more insight into how to confront a Christian who has offended you.
How did you respond recently to a believer in Jesus who sinned against
you? What will you do today to follow Jesus and His instruction as you
deal with this broken relationship?
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more