Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
If another believer sins, rebuke that person; then if there is repentance, forgive (v.3).
Someone close to me (and to those I love) recently
made some poor decisions that affected us all, and
what followed wasn’t pretty. Pain. Grief. Suffering.
Those words capture the essence of the bitter sting
brought by foolish choices.
You’ve been there. We all have. Broken and strained
relationships can haunt our days with all the ragged
emotions and troubled thoughts that they foster.
Fortunately, Jesus provides some words of instruction
that can help us deal with this prickly issue. Let’s follow
along as He takes us from heartache to potential hope
1. Believers in Jesus will be tempted and will sin against
us (Luke 17:1). Although it is never pleasant or desired, our
friends and family will sin against us and fail us in this life.
2. We must lovingly confront the person who has sinned
against us (v.3). It’s not loving to ignore the offense and
simmer in our anger or to return the person’s attacks with
a volley of our own. We must show the radical love of
Jesus as we address the offense with the offender.
3. If the person genuinely repents, we must forgive him
(vv.3-4). True forgiveness can only be extended if the
person who has sinned against us repents. In his book
Jesus and the Gospels, theologian Craig Blomberg writes
that this means individuals must “change their behavior
rather than just apologize.” That’s real repentance.
But what should you do when the person who has
sinned against you refuses to repent? Jesus gives us a single word to take to
heart: obey (v.10). As we continue to deal with those who sin against us, we
can turn the person over to God and simply obey and follow His Word.
We can’t stop someone from making poor and foolish choices, but we can
make godly choices in what follows. —Tom Felten
Read Matthew 18:15
for more insight into how to confront a Christian who has offended you.
How did you respond recently to a believer in Jesus who sinned against
you? What will you do today to follow Jesus and His instruction as you
deal with this broken relationship?
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more