Rejoicing in Deep NeedWhat happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Cost of Citizenship
I am a citizen by birth! (Acts 22:28).
My adopted son Wasswa became a naturalizedAmerican citizen when we flew in from Uganda on 3rd June, 2011 and passed through immigration. Though we were in America only for the summer, and would return to Uganda a few weeks later, by law Wasswa’s citizenship is his for life.
His rights as a citizen include voting in elections, serving on a jury, bringing family members from abroad to America, traveling with a passport, running for government positions, and eligibility for government grants and scholarships. With privileges come responsibilities. As a citizen, Wasswa is to support and serve his country when required, participate in the democratic process and respect and obey government, state and local laws.
As fortunate as Wasswa is to be a citizen of a country, such membership pales in comparison with citizenship in heaven. Without residency in Jesus we are “foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world” (Ephesians 2:12 NIV). But by the blood of Christ, you and I are “no longer strangers and foreigners” (v.19). To the contrary, we “are citizens along with all of God’s holy people. [We] are members of God’s family. Together, we are His house, built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets. And the cornerstone is Christ Jesus Himself” (vv.19-20).
Paul states in Philippians, “We are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for Him to return as our Savior” (3:20). As such we’re to “live as citizens of heaven, conducting [ourselves] in a manner worthy of the good news about Christ” (1:27). Consider today how your words and actions convey where your citizenship lies.
Read Philippians 1:27 and note what marks a responsible citizen of heaven.
How can you more actively participate in the community of believers? What are the rights and responsibilities that come with being a believer in Jesus?
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more