Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Real Boss
2 Timothy 2:23-26 The Lord Himself will fight for you. Just stay calm (Exodus 14:14).
While getting ready for bed one evening at our home in Uganda, my 9-year-old son Wasswa said, “Mommy, the man who fights is the boss. The man who doesn’t fight is the real boss!” Seven months later, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spoke some words in response to attacks on US diplomatic missions in the Middle East that echoed my son’s convictions.
“When Christians are subject to insults to their faith, and that certainly happens, we expect them not to resort to violence,” Clinton said. “The same goes for all faiths. . . . Refraining from violence, then, is not a sign of weakness in one’s faith; it is . . . a sign that one’s faith is unshakable.”
Whether from the mouths of babes or seasoned leaders, there’s wisdom in the exhortation to refrain from fighting. As Scripture strongly states: “Avoiding a fight is a mark of honor; only fools insist on quarreling” (Proverbs 20:3); “An angry person starts fights; a hot-tempered person commits all kinds of sin. Pride ends in humiliation, while humility brings honor” (29:22-23); “A hot-tempered person starts fights; a cool-tempered person stops them” (15:18); “Greed causes fighting; trusting the Lord leads to prosperity. Those who trust their own insight are foolish, but anyone who walks in wisdom is safe” (28:25-26).
As followers of Jesus, let’s adhere to the apostle Paul’s advice, “Don’t get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights. A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone . . . and be patient with difficult people” (2 Timothy 2:23-24).
In 2 Timothy 4:7, what does Paul mean when he says he has “fought the good fight”? How does this type of fighting differ from violence and retaliation?
What has caused quarrels or fights in your life recently? How can you apply Scripture to help heal your relationship(s)?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more