Taking on Too MuchWhat are you trying to take on that only God can do
Top Music Videos
The Real Boss
2 Timothy 2:23-26 The Lord Himself will fight for you. Just stay calm (Exodus 14:14).
While getting ready for bed one evening at our home in Uganda, my 9-year-old son Wasswa said, “Mommy, the man who fights is the boss. The man who doesn’t fight is the real boss!” Seven months later, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spoke some words in response to attacks on US diplomatic missions in the Middle East that echoed my son’s convictions.
“When Christians are subject to insults to their faith, and that certainly happens, we expect them not to resort to violence,” Clinton said. “The same goes for all faiths. . . . Refraining from violence, then, is not a sign of weakness in one’s faith; it is . . . a sign that one’s faith is unshakable.”
Whether from the mouths of babes or seasoned leaders, there’s wisdom in the exhortation to refrain from fighting. As Scripture strongly states: “Avoiding a fight is a mark of honor; only fools insist on quarreling” (Proverbs 20:3); “An angry person starts fights; a hot-tempered person commits all kinds of sin. Pride ends in humiliation, while humility brings honor” (29:22-23); “A hot-tempered person starts fights; a cool-tempered person stops them” (15:18); “Greed causes fighting; trusting the Lord leads to prosperity. Those who trust their own insight are foolish, but anyone who walks in wisdom is safe” (28:25-26).
As followers of Jesus, let’s adhere to the apostle Paul’s advice, “Don’t get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights. A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone . . . and be patient with difficult people” (2 Timothy 2:23-24).
In 2 Timothy 4:7, what does Paul mean when he says he has “fought the good fight”? How does this type of fighting differ from violence and retaliation?
What has caused quarrels or fights in your life recently? How can you apply Scripture to help heal your relationship(s)?
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more