Tender HeartsHow can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the
winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on
Feelings lie. This truth became evident as my
husband and I talked with a young man who, after
becoming sexually active with his girlfriend, was
brokenhearted at how far he had moved from following
God’s Word. Trying to convince himself that God could
bring something good out of their sin, he had continued
in the relationship. On the basis of his feelings, a veil of
deception tightened over the eyes of his heart. Now he
was feeling terrible because he knew he needed to end
their relationship. He felt strongly that she was not the
woman God wanted him to marry.
Living in a culture where standards shift faster than
grains of sand in an hourglass, it’s easy to buy into the
lie that truth is relative. After all, who doesn’t feel more
comfortable living by what “feels right” in the moment,
especially when emotions speak so loudly?
But God’s Word doesn’t change (Psalm 119:89).
Consistent for eternity, God’s Word stands, not only
as our hope in times of desperation and uncertainty,
but also as our light even when we think we’ve got life
figured out (v.105).
Too often we try to put our house on the firm
foundation in the midst of a storm we’ve brought upon
ourselves. But, in reality, the building takes place long
before the winds rage. It happens in the everyday
decisions we make, in the times when the sun is still
shining and we’re choosing God’s ways or our own.
Unlike our feelings, God never lies and His plans never
fail (Numbers 23:19). There are times when we find it
easy to obey His Word because we feel its truth deep in our hearts. But there
are also times when we must choose obedience to its truths, whether we feel like
it or not. —Regina Franklin
Read Isaiah 55:1 to see why we need to exchange our feelings
for the truth of God’s Word—finding the promises that become
available to us when we obey.
How have your feelings for someone recently changed? How should
this experience change how you view your feelings? Why do you
sometimes try to negotiate with God when it comes
to obeying Him?
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more