Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the
winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on
Feelings lie. This truth became evident as my
husband and I talked with a young man who, after
becoming sexually active with his girlfriend, was
brokenhearted at how far he had moved from following
God’s Word. Trying to convince himself that God could
bring something good out of their sin, he had continued
in the relationship. On the basis of his feelings, a veil of
deception tightened over the eyes of his heart. Now he
was feeling terrible because he knew he needed to end
their relationship. He felt strongly that she was not the
woman God wanted him to marry.
Living in a culture where standards shift faster than
grains of sand in an hourglass, it’s easy to buy into the
lie that truth is relative. After all, who doesn’t feel more
comfortable living by what “feels right” in the moment,
especially when emotions speak so loudly?
But God’s Word doesn’t change (Psalm 119:89).
Consistent for eternity, God’s Word stands, not only
as our hope in times of desperation and uncertainty,
but also as our light even when we think we’ve got life
figured out (v.105).
Too often we try to put our house on the firm
foundation in the midst of a storm we’ve brought upon
ourselves. But, in reality, the building takes place long
before the winds rage. It happens in the everyday
decisions we make, in the times when the sun is still
shining and we’re choosing God’s ways or our own.
Unlike our feelings, God never lies and His plans never
fail (Numbers 23:19). There are times when we find it
easy to obey His Word because we feel its truth deep in our hearts. But there
are also times when we must choose obedience to its truths, whether we feel like
it or not. —Regina Franklin
Read Isaiah 55:1 to see why we need to exchange our feelings
for the truth of God’s Word—finding the promises that become
available to us when we obey.
How have your feelings for someone recently changed? How should
this experience change how you view your feelings? Why do you
sometimes try to negotiate with God when it comes
to obeying Him?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more