Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
[God] knows what lies hidden in darkness, though He is surrounded
by light (v.22).
Marty, my hairdresser, told me about this guy she
knows—he has flames tattooed on his scalp.
With a full head of hair, no one can see the
inferno on his skull. But, when he shaves his head, the
fire is visible. It’s kind of a cool concept—now you see it,
now you don’t. Unless he chooses to share it, the tattoo is
his own little secret.
King Nebuchadnezzar had a secret. He refused
to disclose the contents of a disturbing dream. He
challenged his advisors not only to interpret the meaning
of the nightmare, but to describe the events in the dream
as well (Daniel 2:5).
As one of the king’s advisors, Daniel would be killed
unless he could detail and decipher Nebuchadnezzar’s
dream. Daniel prayed, and God revealed the dream to
him in a vision (v.19). King Nebuchadnezzar responded by
bowing down before Daniel and proclaiming, “Truly, your
God is the greatest of gods . . . a revealer of mysteries, for
you have been able to reveal this secret” (v.47).
The point here is not that we should all expect to name
and interpret dreams. It’s that God enabled Daniel to do
this because “[God] knows what lies hidden in darkness”
(v.22), and He sees everything—both our good deeds
and the shady stuff we’d rather not discuss. He’s aware
of our private addictions, corrupt thought patterns, and
the double crossing that we think no one notices. God
also knows that these kinds of secrets burn in our hearts like invisible fire.
Fortunately, there’s no “secret” so shocking that it can keep us from God’s
love. He’s the righteous Judge and—at the same time—He is love (1 John 4:8).
If we expose our secret sin and confess it to Him, He will “forgive us” and
“cleanse us from all wickedness” (1 John 1:9).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Psalms 32:3 to see what happened when David came clean
When you remember that God’s all-seeing eyes are on you, how does that
prompt you to stop some actions and start others? Why do we sometimes
refuse to discuss our sin with God?
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more