New BeginningsHow has God equipped you to follow Him?
Top Christian Music Videos
[God] knows what lies hidden in darkness, though He is surrounded
by light (v.22).
Marty, my hairdresser, told me about this guy she
knows—he has flames tattooed on his scalp.
With a full head of hair, no one can see the
inferno on his skull. But, when he shaves his head, the
fire is visible. It’s kind of a cool concept—now you see it,
now you don’t. Unless he chooses to share it, the tattoo is
his own little secret.
King Nebuchadnezzar had a secret. He refused
to disclose the contents of a disturbing dream. He
challenged his advisors not only to interpret the meaning
of the nightmare, but to describe the events in the dream
as well (Daniel 2:5).
As one of the king’s advisors, Daniel would be killed
unless he could detail and decipher Nebuchadnezzar’s
dream. Daniel prayed, and God revealed the dream to
him in a vision (v.19). King Nebuchadnezzar responded by
bowing down before Daniel and proclaiming, “Truly, your
God is the greatest of gods . . . a revealer of mysteries, for
you have been able to reveal this secret” (v.47).
The point here is not that we should all expect to name
and interpret dreams. It’s that God enabled Daniel to do
this because “[God] knows what lies hidden in darkness”
(v.22), and He sees everything—both our good deeds
and the shady stuff we’d rather not discuss. He’s aware
of our private addictions, corrupt thought patterns, and
the double crossing that we think no one notices. God
also knows that these kinds of secrets burn in our hearts like invisible fire.
Fortunately, there’s no “secret” so shocking that it can keep us from God’s
love. He’s the righteous Judge and—at the same time—He is love (1 John 4:8).
If we expose our secret sin and confess it to Him, He will “forgive us” and
“cleanse us from all wickedness” (1 John 1:9).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Psalms 32:3 to see what happened when David came clean
When you remember that God’s all-seeing eyes are on you, how does that
prompt you to stop some actions and start others? Why do we sometimes
refuse to discuss our sin with God?
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more