Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
The Need to Know
Who is this that questions My wisdom with such ignorant words? (v.2).
Why? Our 10-year-old son is especially adept at asking this question with great frequency. Because his questions have moved from innocent curiosity to occasional open challenge, my husband and I have chosen not to overlook the habit. Paying close attention, I realized Micah was asking questions not to gain understanding but in order to gain information so he could negotiate his way out of whatever we had asked him to do.
Since the Garden of Eden, human beings have succumbed to the temptation for greater knowledge (Genesis 3:5-6). Surprises are nice when it comes to birthday parties, but beyond those occasions for gifts and well wishes we don’t normally like to travel the unknown with limited information.
The drive to know what the future holds becomes even greater when hardship strikes. But if we’re honest with ourselves, we don’t desire answers as much as we desire control. Information, in and of itself, cannot bring peace, as even Solomon—the wisest of men— acknowledged (Ecclesiastes 1:16-18). Much like a child who desires to renegotiate the rules, we often bring our questions to the Lord, not because we want to understand His ways but because we want to see His position so we can better argue ours.
But as Job realized, the ultimate prize is not the answer we receive, but the relationship we cherish. Recognizing that God’s wisdom far surpassed his own, Job had a decision to make: continue to demand answers or surrender his own will to the One who is greater (read Jeremiah 17:7).
The key to Job’s freedom came in his recognition of God’s sovereignty (Job 42:2) and his willingness to repent for thinking he had a better way (v.6) —Regina Franklin
What are some questions you’ve been bringing before God recently? How do you respond when God gives you an answer you don’t want to hear?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more