Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
The heavens proclaim the glory of God (v.1).
When poet, lecturer, and essayist Ralph Waldo
Emerson was asked what people would do if the
stars came out only once every thousand years,
he replied, “If the stars should appear but one night every
thousand years, how man would marvel and stare.”
Building on Emerson’s response, author Paul Hawkins,
in a commencement speech to the Portland University
Class of 2009, said, “If the stars only came out once
every thousand years, no one would sleep that night, of
course. The world would create new religions overnight.
We would be ecstatic, delirious, made rapturous by the
glory of God. “Instead,” Hawkins lamented, “the stars
come out every night and we watch television.”
Ever since God created the stars on the fourth day
(Genesis 1:16), the brilliant lights haven’t ceased to shine.
We, however, too often neglect to “stop and consider”
these and other miracles of God’s creation (Job 37:14).
As we grow older, we tend to resemble Mark Twain’s
fictional character Tom Sawyer, who remembered
stargazing as an important part of his past but not his
present. “We had the sky up there, all speckled with
stars,” Twain wrote, “and we used to lay on our backs
and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was
made or only just happened.”
King David argued that an upward gaze is important regardless of our years
or stage in life. For “the heavens,” David said, “proclaim the glory of God. The
skies display His craftsmanship. Day after day they continue to speak; night after
night they make Him known. They speak without a sound or word; their voice is
never heard. Yet their message has gone throughout the earth, and their words
to all the world” (Psalm 19:1-4).
Don’t wait 1,000 years to be dazzled by God. Instead, look into tonight’s
evening sky and see what He has done! —Roxanne Robbins
The heavens are Yours, and the earth is Yours; everything in the world is
Yours—You created it all
Have you lost your sense of wonder? Direct your view toward the stars,
and reflect on what God reveals to you about His creative handiwork and power.
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more