Faithful and TrueWhat experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?
Top Christian Music Videos
The heavens proclaim the glory of God (v.1).
When poet, lecturer, and essayist Ralph Waldo
Emerson was asked what people would do if the
stars came out only once every thousand years,
he replied, “If the stars should appear but one night every
thousand years, how man would marvel and stare.”
Building on Emerson’s response, author Paul Hawkins,
in a commencement speech to the Portland University
Class of 2009, said, “If the stars only came out once
every thousand years, no one would sleep that night, of
course. The world would create new religions overnight.
We would be ecstatic, delirious, made rapturous by the
glory of God. “Instead,” Hawkins lamented, “the stars
come out every night and we watch television.”
Ever since God created the stars on the fourth day
(Genesis 1:16), the brilliant lights haven’t ceased to shine.
We, however, too often neglect to “stop and consider”
these and other miracles of God’s creation (Job 37:14).
As we grow older, we tend to resemble Mark Twain’s
fictional character Tom Sawyer, who remembered
stargazing as an important part of his past but not his
present. “We had the sky up there, all speckled with
stars,” Twain wrote, “and we used to lay on our backs
and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was
made or only just happened.”
King David argued that an upward gaze is important regardless of our years
or stage in life. For “the heavens,” David said, “proclaim the glory of God. The
skies display His craftsmanship. Day after day they continue to speak; night after
night they make Him known. They speak without a sound or word; their voice is
never heard. Yet their message has gone throughout the earth, and their words
to all the world” (Psalm 19:1-4).
Don’t wait 1,000 years to be dazzled by God. Instead, look into tonight’s
evening sky and see what He has done! —Roxanne Robbins
The heavens are Yours, and the earth is Yours; everything in the world is
Yours—You created it all
Have you lost your sense of wonder? Direct your view toward the stars,
and reflect on what God reveals to you about His creative handiwork and power.
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more