Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
The heavens proclaim the glory of God (v.1).
When poet, lecturer, and essayist Ralph Waldo
Emerson was asked what people would do if the
stars came out only once every thousand years,
he replied, “If the stars should appear but one night every
thousand years, how man would marvel and stare.”
Building on Emerson’s response, author Paul Hawkins,
in a commencement speech to the Portland University
Class of 2009, said, “If the stars only came out once
every thousand years, no one would sleep that night, of
course. The world would create new religions overnight.
We would be ecstatic, delirious, made rapturous by the
glory of God. “Instead,” Hawkins lamented, “the stars
come out every night and we watch television.”
Ever since God created the stars on the fourth day
(Genesis 1:16), the brilliant lights haven’t ceased to shine.
We, however, too often neglect to “stop and consider”
these and other miracles of God’s creation (Job 37:14).
As we grow older, we tend to resemble Mark Twain’s
fictional character Tom Sawyer, who remembered
stargazing as an important part of his past but not his
present. “We had the sky up there, all speckled with
stars,” Twain wrote, “and we used to lay on our backs
and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was
made or only just happened.”
King David argued that an upward gaze is important regardless of our years
or stage in life. For “the heavens,” David said, “proclaim the glory of God. The
skies display His craftsmanship. Day after day they continue to speak; night after
night they make Him known. They speak without a sound or word; their voice is
never heard. Yet their message has gone throughout the earth, and their words
to all the world” (Psalm 19:1-4).
Don’t wait 1,000 years to be dazzled by God. Instead, look into tonight’s
evening sky and see what He has done! —Roxanne Robbins
The heavens are Yours, and the earth is Yours; everything in the world is
Yours—You created it all
Have you lost your sense of wonder? Direct your view toward the stars,
and reflect on what God reveals to you about His creative handiwork and power.
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more