What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
Truth in Love
Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of His body, the church (v.15).
Have you said something to someone that you later regretted? Perhaps you needed to speak hard words, and the person needed to hear them, but you feel bad because of the way you communicated your message. So you’re saddened that you failed to “speak the truth in love.” But what does that really mean? Is it about honesty? Is it about sweetening the cold, hard truth to make it more palatable?
This “truth in love” catchphrase appears in Ephesians 4:11-16. In the Greek text, it’s one long sentence. As we look at the context, we notice that it’s stated in contrast to immature children who are unstable and easily deceived by falsehood (v.14). The phrase is simply one word in Greek, which can be translated as “truthing in love.” It holds the idea of maintaining truth in love both in our talk and in our walk.
One Bible commentator puts it this way: “ ‘Speaking the truth’ pictures the right doctrine. ‘In love’ pictures the right spirit or attitude. We ought to havea great love of the truth and we also ought to do the truth, but we must do the truth in love.Truth without love is brutality, but love without truth is hypocrisy.”
In fact, speaking the truth in love is the outcome of a healthy church where all believers (not just the full-time staff) use their gifts to serve one another (vv.11-13). When a community speaks and lives out the truth in loving ways, it promotes unity, growth, health, and love (vv.15-16).
How can we become more truthful and loving? Paul says, “Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. . . . And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus” (Colossians 3:16-17).
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Ephesians 4:29 to see the kind of speech that pleases God.
What characterizes your conversation with other believers— opinions, idle talk, or truth? How can you grow in truth and love?
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more