Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
Life seems so much simpler in the Old Testament. Obey God = get blessed. Don't obey Him = expect trouble. It's a simple theology that satisfies our craving for justice. The story of King Asa offers a textbook example of this apparent cause-and-effect relationship with God.
Asa was an excellent leader who turned his people from worshiping false gods (2 Chronicles 15:8). But late in his reign, he depended on his own strength and judgment instead of on God (16:2-7).
Eventually, Hanani the prophet told Asa: "The eyes of the Lord search the whole earth in order to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him" (16:9). Asa's heart was evidently not fully in tune with God, for the balance of his life was marked by war and disease (v.12). It's easy to look at this story and say that people get what they deserve. But we don't always see that happen in life. Good people often suffer. Bad people sometimes get away with murder.
A closer look at Scripture reflects these deeper nuances accurately. Even in the Old Testament, we see how the wicked seem to prosper while heroes of the faith suffer terribly. Joseph, an innocent man, languished in prison for years (Genesis 39:19â€“41:1). Asaph lamented that the ungodly seemed to prosper, before concluding that justice would eventually prevail (Psalm 73). In raw honesty, Jeremiah actually accused God: "You misled me" (Jeremiah 20:7). Does God care? Yes, He does! The greatest injustice in all of history took place when Jesus suffered and died on the cross. God permitted His innocent Son to pay the horrid penalty for our sins. Is there justice in that? "God helps those who help themselves," some say, But the truth is, God helps those who are fully dependent on Him. , Tim Gustafson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more