Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
1 Corinthians 2:6-16
For His Spirit searches
out everything and
shows us God’s deep
It’s glossy and features the pics of people like Bono,
Angelina Jolie, the Dalai Lama, and Che Guevara.
If you glanced at the cover you might mistake it for a
fashion magazine. What is it? A New Testament called
The Bible Illuminated. The publishers, however, admit that
they don’t “support a specific faith.” Many of the images
of celebrities and well-known people are positioned next
to specific verses to make political or social statements.
The photos don’t “illuminate” the text. Instead, they
mislead and confuse the reader.
I’m grateful for the illumination that the Holy Spirit
brings, so that we can truly understand God’s Word
(1 Corinthians 2:10). He “shows us God’s deep secrets”
as we read and study it. Like a lens that allows us to see
what once was blurry and undefined, God’s Spirit helps
us grasp the truths in Scripture that nonbelievers can’t
possibly understand. To them it’s foolishness (1:18).
As the Holy Spirit illumines God’s Word for us, we
move from false and distorted views to the clarity of what
the Bible’s authors are actually communicating (2 Peter
1:21). Then, after the Holy Spirit has opened our eyes to
what the Word is saying, we can pray that He will also
help us take it to heart and obey it.
Now, when a particular passage of the Bible is
highly confusing or hard to understand, it’s good
to do two things: (1) Seek out helpful insights from
godly commentators and theologians who have studied the Scriptures and
experienced the Spirit’s illuminating ways; (2) pray for the Spirit to shed His light
on the verses in question. For “we have received God’s Spirit (not the world’s
spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us”
(1 Corinthians 2:12).
Now that’s illumination! —Tom Felten
In 2 Timothy 3:16-17,
Paul reveals that the
Scriptures came about
by God’s inspiration.
How does this differ
from the illumination
of God’s Word?
How have you viewed
Scripture through the
wrong lens? How does
the Holy Spirit open your
eyes to the truths found in
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more