WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Several years ago, a woman in our church received news that no pregnant mother wants to hear: "Your baby has Down syndrome." The diagnosis was unnerving and the prognosis was bleak. The family called the elders to pray for healing. We had the privilege to anoint the mother and pray that God would supernaturally intervene. Several months later the mother delivered, and although the baby was born with Down's, many of the conditions the doctors predicted did not come to pass.
James 5:14-16 is clear in its teaching about anointing and praying for the sick. James gave some choice principles to guide the believers' thoughts, discussion, and practice of praying for the sick.
â€¢ They could and should pray for healing. James encouraged those who were sick to be anointed and prayed for. People should pray with confidence for complete healing until it is obvious that God has chosen to do otherwise. â€¢ Elders, in a limited way, were given authority to act on behalf of Jesus. This does not mean that elders in the church have special healing powers or righteousness. It means they have a privilege and responsibility to pray for the sick in Jesus' name. â€¢ The oil had no special power. It is simply a sign to aid faith, or a symbol of the presence of the Holy Spirit, the One who provides healing, comfort, and assurance. â€¢ God is sovereign. James wanted his audience to realize that God is not obligated to heal anyone.
God still heals supernaturally (and through natural means, using medicine and physicians). Our responsibility is to be obedient to Scripture and to pray for healing in faith and humility. , Marvin Williams, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more