Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Man of God
1 Timothy 6:11
But you, Timothy, are a man of God (v.11).
Recently a colleague asked me, “What would you
like to be?” I replied, “Well, in terms of career
planning, I don’t know. But I want to be someone
who is wise, compassionate, and humble.”
In Paul’s letter to his protégé, he didn’t instruct Timothy
to become an A-list pastor; rather he reminded him that
he was a “man of God” (1 Tim. 6:11).
Interestingly, there’s only one person in the New
Testament who’s called “a man of God,” and that’s
Timothy. But this term is frequently used in the Old
Testament. In fact, it’s used 70 times and always in
reference to a spokesman for God—someone whose
duty and responsibility is to speak the words of God.
Paul points out four characteristics that mark a man of
• He flees. “Run” (v.11). This is the Greek verb fuagay
from which we get the word fugitive. In other words, the
man of God is a man on the run. He’s constantly fleeing
the love of money (6:10), ungodly behavior (6:20), lust,
and sin (2 Timothy 2:22).
• He follows after. The man of God pursues
“righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love,
perseverance, and gentleness” (1 Timothy 6:11).
• He fights. Using the truth, the man of God is
engaged in daily warfare against the kingdom of
darkness. He’s not resting on his laurels.
• He’s faithful. The man of God “[holds] tightly to . . .
eternal life” (v.12). He views faithful Christian living and service as his necessary
responsibility to God.
If someone were to ask you, “What would you like to be?” would you answer,
“I want to be a man of God”? That man personally belongs to God, proclaims
His Word accurately, and lives an exemplary life.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 2 Timothy 3:16 to see why it’s vital that a man of God use Scripture
to guide his actions.
How does your life reveal that you’re a person of God? What needs to
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more