Taking on Too MuchWhat are you trying to take on that only God can do
Top Music Videos
Man of God
1 Timothy 6:11
But you, Timothy, are a man of God (v.11).
Recently a colleague asked me, “What would you
like to be?” I replied, “Well, in terms of career
planning, I don’t know. But I want to be someone
who is wise, compassionate, and humble.”
In Paul’s letter to his protégé, he didn’t instruct Timothy
to become an A-list pastor; rather he reminded him that
he was a “man of God” (1 Tim. 6:11).
Interestingly, there’s only one person in the New
Testament who’s called “a man of God,” and that’s
Timothy. But this term is frequently used in the Old
Testament. In fact, it’s used 70 times and always in
reference to a spokesman for God—someone whose
duty and responsibility is to speak the words of God.
Paul points out four characteristics that mark a man of
• He flees. “Run” (v.11). This is the Greek verb fuagay
from which we get the word fugitive. In other words, the
man of God is a man on the run. He’s constantly fleeing
the love of money (6:10), ungodly behavior (6:20), lust,
and sin (2 Timothy 2:22).
• He follows after. The man of God pursues
“righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love,
perseverance, and gentleness” (1 Timothy 6:11).
• He fights. Using the truth, the man of God is
engaged in daily warfare against the kingdom of
darkness. He’s not resting on his laurels.
• He’s faithful. The man of God “[holds] tightly to . . .
eternal life” (v.12). He views faithful Christian living and service as his necessary
responsibility to God.
If someone were to ask you, “What would you like to be?” would you answer,
“I want to be a man of God”? That man personally belongs to God, proclaims
His Word accurately, and lives an exemplary life.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 2 Timothy 3:16 to see why it’s vital that a man of God use Scripture
to guide his actions.
How does your life reveal that you’re a person of God? What needs to
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more