MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
Man of God
1 Timothy 6:11
But you, Timothy, are a man of God (v.11).
Recently a colleague asked me, “What would you
like to be?” I replied, “Well, in terms of career
planning, I don’t know. But I want to be someone
who is wise, compassionate, and humble.”
In Paul’s letter to his protégé, he didn’t instruct Timothy
to become an A-list pastor; rather he reminded him that
he was a “man of God” (1 Tim. 6:11).
Interestingly, there’s only one person in the New
Testament who’s called “a man of God,” and that’s
Timothy. But this term is frequently used in the Old
Testament. In fact, it’s used 70 times and always in
reference to a spokesman for God—someone whose
duty and responsibility is to speak the words of God.
Paul points out four characteristics that mark a man of
• He flees. “Run” (v.11). This is the Greek verb fuagay
from which we get the word fugitive. In other words, the
man of God is a man on the run. He’s constantly fleeing
the love of money (6:10), ungodly behavior (6:20), lust,
and sin (2 Timothy 2:22).
• He follows after. The man of God pursues
“righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love,
perseverance, and gentleness” (1 Timothy 6:11).
• He fights. Using the truth, the man of God is
engaged in daily warfare against the kingdom of
darkness. He’s not resting on his laurels.
• He’s faithful. The man of God “[holds] tightly to . . .
eternal life” (v.12). He views faithful Christian living and service as his necessary
responsibility to God.
If someone were to ask you, “What would you like to be?” would you answer,
“I want to be a man of God”? That man personally belongs to God, proclaims
His Word accurately, and lives an exemplary life.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 2 Timothy 3:16 to see why it’s vital that a man of God use Scripture
to guide his actions.
How does your life reveal that you’re a person of God? What needs to
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more