Top Music Videos
Man of God
1 Timothy 6:11
But you, Timothy, are a man of God (v.11).
Recently a colleague asked me, “What would you
like to be?” I replied, “Well, in terms of career
planning, I don’t know. But I want to be someone
who is wise, compassionate, and humble.”
In Paul’s letter to his protégé, he didn’t instruct Timothy
to become an A-list pastor; rather he reminded him that
he was a “man of God” (1 Tim. 6:11).
Interestingly, there’s only one person in the New
Testament who’s called “a man of God,” and that’s
Timothy. But this term is frequently used in the Old
Testament. In fact, it’s used 70 times and always in
reference to a spokesman for God—someone whose
duty and responsibility is to speak the words of God.
Paul points out four characteristics that mark a man of
• He flees. “Run” (v.11). This is the Greek verb fuagay
from which we get the word fugitive. In other words, the
man of God is a man on the run. He’s constantly fleeing
the love of money (6:10), ungodly behavior (6:20), lust,
and sin (2 Timothy 2:22).
• He follows after. The man of God pursues
“righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love,
perseverance, and gentleness” (1 Timothy 6:11).
• He fights. Using the truth, the man of God is
engaged in daily warfare against the kingdom of
darkness. He’s not resting on his laurels.
• He’s faithful. The man of God “[holds] tightly to . . .
eternal life” (v.12). He views faithful Christian living and service as his necessary
responsibility to God.
If someone were to ask you, “What would you like to be?” would you answer,
“I want to be a man of God”? That man personally belongs to God, proclaims
His Word accurately, and lives an exemplary life.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 2 Timothy 3:16 to see why it’s vital that a man of God use Scripture
to guide his actions.
How does your life reveal that you’re a person of God? What needs to
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more