Stinging WordsHow have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?
Top Music Videos
Desire For Vengeance
Romans 12:14 Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by
doing good (v.21).
I once spoke with a father whose son had been
brutally murdered by a family friend. In the years that
followed, he talked of his burning desire for revenge.
He knew that bitterness had overtaken his heart and
crowded out that which was good. Although he wanted
to turn this festering burden over to Jesus, he struggled
with letting go.
One of the things God put on my heart to share with
this man initially shocked him, but it also freed him up to
see that he had other options. I told him that his desire
for revenge was not completely off-base and unchristian.
I then reminded him of these words that the apostle Paul
wrote to fellow believers in Jesus, “The God of peace
will soon crush Satan under your feet” (Romans 16:20).
Paul’s statement is a surprising promise for revenge. In
other words, the apostle was encouraging his readers
to be patient because they were going to have their day
when vengeance would be God’s . . . and theirs. A time
is coming when all believers will have the opportunity to
make Satan (who is indirectly and ultimately responsible
for all of the evils in life) pay under our feet.
Part of the desire to take revenge is godly, as long as
it’s based in God’s righteousness and His timing. In the
meantime, He calls us to leave revenge up to Him (12:19)
and to work toward conquering evil by “doing good”
to those who deeply harm us (v.21). This might include
blessing them with the gift of noncondemnation or showing tough love that
forces them to own the harm of their sinful choices. Our goal? To help others
overcome evil in their lives and to prevent the evil of bitterness from overtaking
Doing what is good to those who have hurt us is letting them experience a
sample of God’s mercy and justice.
Without pretending that nothing happened, how can you do what is good
for a person who has deeply hurt you? How can doing good to those
who have hurt you be a sample of God’s mercy and justice?
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more