Test of CourageRead Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God.
Top Christian Music Videos
Desire For Vengeance
Romans 12:14 Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by
doing good (v.21).
I once spoke with a father whose son had been
brutally murdered by a family friend. In the years that
followed, he talked of his burning desire for revenge.
He knew that bitterness had overtaken his heart and
crowded out that which was good. Although he wanted
to turn this festering burden over to Jesus, he struggled
with letting go.
One of the things God put on my heart to share with
this man initially shocked him, but it also freed him up to
see that he had other options. I told him that his desire
for revenge was not completely off-base and unchristian.
I then reminded him of these words that the apostle Paul
wrote to fellow believers in Jesus, “The God of peace
will soon crush Satan under your feet” (Romans 16:20).
Paul’s statement is a surprising promise for revenge. In
other words, the apostle was encouraging his readers
to be patient because they were going to have their day
when vengeance would be God’s . . . and theirs. A time
is coming when all believers will have the opportunity to
make Satan (who is indirectly and ultimately responsible
for all of the evils in life) pay under our feet.
Part of the desire to take revenge is godly, as long as
it’s based in God’s righteousness and His timing. In the
meantime, He calls us to leave revenge up to Him (12:19)
and to work toward conquering evil by “doing good”
to those who deeply harm us (v.21). This might include
blessing them with the gift of noncondemnation or showing tough love that
forces them to own the harm of their sinful choices. Our goal? To help others
overcome evil in their lives and to prevent the evil of bitterness from overtaking
Doing what is good to those who have hurt us is letting them experience a
sample of God’s mercy and justice.
Without pretending that nothing happened, how can you do what is good
for a person who has deeply hurt you? How can doing good to those
who have hurt you be a sample of God’s mercy and justice?
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more