Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
The mule needed a vacation. Ten times a day, he'd been hauling 500-pound loads to a construction site at the top of a hill. Not surprisingly, the overtired animal finally collapsed. Fortunately for the broken-down beast, a group of concerned onlookers demanded that the mule's owner give him a 3-day rest.
Everyone needs an occasional break from the burden of work, especially those of us who are engaged in Christian ministry. We can really relate to the mule's plight when the "people issues" pile up and our knees buckle under the weight.
Moses had the pack-mule problem when it came to settling disputes among the Israelites. His father-in-law Jethro noticed, and said, "You're going to wear yourself out . . . . This job is too heavy a burden for you" (v.18). Like Moses, we've got to pay attention when people start to notice signs of burnout in us.
Fortunately, being overburdened doesn't have to end our effectiveness for God. Jethro advised Moses to "continue to be the people's representative before God, bringing their disputes to Him" (v.19). Moses would have to find a way, however, to share the workload. And he did. First, he instructed the people in God's laws so they could resolve many issues themselves (v.20). Then he handpicked some leaders to handle the smaller issues that still needed to be addressed, while he handled the more complex stuff. Just as Jethro predicted, they helped Moses to carry the load, "making the task easier for [him]" (v.22).
Do you have a pack-mule problem in doing good things? Look for people who are interested in how you're serving and ask for help! After all, we're supposed to "share each other's burdens (Galatians 6:2). , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more