Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
I have a soft spot for Uganda's street kids and have tried to help many of them enter church-based programs that provide food, housing, school fees, and quality mentors. Often, such efforts are rewarding. Occasionally, however, the outcomes are deeply disappointing, particularly when the children I've loved and invested in end up stealing from me and returning to the streets.
Last month, after two convincing young storytellers conned me out of several hundred dollars (a story for later), I concluded I'd had enough. I thumbed a text message to the culprits' mentor that said, "Your boys have pushed me to the limit. So until further notice, I'm taking a sabbatical from helping street kids."
Minutes after I'd expressed my resolve, a New Testament passage pervaded my thoughts: "So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up" (Galatians 6:9).
I tried to distance my situation from the exhortation, but couldn't. So, I dug further into God's Word to uncover how I might avoid tiring of "doing what is good" in the future and gain needed discernment in the process. Here's a sampling of what I learned:
â€¢ Recognize that God wants us to give wisely. "You must decide in your heart how much to give. And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure" (2 Corinthians 9:7). â€¢ Keep in mind that "whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone, especially to those in the family of faith" (Galatians 6:10). â€¢ Remember that God has created you and me "anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago" (Ephesians 2:10).
Today, thank God for allowing you to join in His work, and keep doing what is good. , Roxanne Robbins, OurDailyJourney
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more