Myth No MoreWhy must God judge His enemies and make things right?
Top Music Videos
Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw His star as it rose, and we have come to worship Him (v.2).
In 2010, an estimated 10.8 million babies were born every month—meaning 362,000 babies were born every day, four babies every second. So if the future king of the world was born today, how would you know where to find this newborn monarch among the thousands of other little bundles of joy? Thankfully, in most hospitals, a baby is given a tag that identifies who the baby belongs to. Matthew presented Jesus as the King of the Jews (Matthew 2:2).
Matthew “tagged” Jesus to show that this baby, born of a virgin in Bethlehem, was the King (ch.1–2). The author provided a genealogy affirming Jesus’ indisputable right to the throne (1:1-17); a genealogy that put Him in the line of Abraham, the father of the nation of Israel, and of David, their greatest king (1:1).
Matthew also recorded the circumstances of Jesus’ birth (vv.18-25), affirming that it fulfilled Isaiah’s prophecy of a virgin’s child (vv.22-23; Isaiah 7:14). Matthew tells us that Jesus also fulfilled the prophecy that the “ruler . . . the shepherd for Israel” would be born in a little village called Bethlehem (2:4-6; Micah 5:2).
Magi, wise men from eastern lands, traversed thousands of miles guided by a star just to seek out the “newborn king of the Jews” (Matthew 2:1). These Persian king-makers, as representatives of the Gentile world, “bowed down and worshiped [Jesus],” giving “Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh” (v.11)—extravagant gifts fit for royalty.
Yes, Matthew had already tagged this baby so there would be no dispute about His lineage and identity. Let’s bow and worship Jesus. He’s the one we are to identify this Christmas.
The magi brought gifts to pay homage to the King. What gifts will you give to Jesus this Christmas? How do you find your identity in Him?
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more