Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw His star as it rose, and we have come to worship Him (v.2).
In 2010, an estimated 10.8 million babies were born every month—meaning 362,000 babies were born every day, four babies every second. So if the future king of the world was born today, how would you know where to find this newborn monarch among the thousands of other little bundles of joy? Thankfully, in most hospitals, a baby is given a tag that identifies who the baby belongs to. Matthew presented Jesus as the King of the Jews (Matthew 2:2).
Matthew “tagged” Jesus to show that this baby, born of a virgin in Bethlehem, was the King (ch.1–2). The author provided a genealogy affirming Jesus’ indisputable right to the throne (1:1-17); a genealogy that put Him in the line of Abraham, the father of the nation of Israel, and of David, their greatest king (1:1).
Matthew also recorded the circumstances of Jesus’ birth (vv.18-25), affirming that it fulfilled Isaiah’s prophecy of a virgin’s child (vv.22-23; Isaiah 7:14). Matthew tells us that Jesus also fulfilled the prophecy that the “ruler . . . the shepherd for Israel” would be born in a little village called Bethlehem (2:4-6; Micah 5:2).
Magi, wise men from eastern lands, traversed thousands of miles guided by a star just to seek out the “newborn king of the Jews” (Matthew 2:1). These Persian king-makers, as representatives of the Gentile world, “bowed down and worshiped [Jesus],” giving “Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh” (v.11)—extravagant gifts fit for royalty.
Yes, Matthew had already tagged this baby so there would be no dispute about His lineage and identity. Let’s bow and worship Jesus. He’s the one we are to identify this Christmas.
The magi brought gifts to pay homage to the King. What gifts will you give to Jesus this Christmas? How do you find your identity in Him?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more