LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw His star as it rose, and we have come to worship Him (v.2).
In 2010, an estimated 10.8 million babies were born every month—meaning 362,000 babies were born every day, four babies every second. So if the future king of the world was born today, how would you know where to find this newborn monarch among the thousands of other little bundles of joy? Thankfully, in most hospitals, a baby is given a tag that identifies who the baby belongs to. Matthew presented Jesus as the King of the Jews (Matthew 2:2).
Matthew “tagged” Jesus to show that this baby, born of a virgin in Bethlehem, was the King (ch.1–2). The author provided a genealogy affirming Jesus’ indisputable right to the throne (1:1-17); a genealogy that put Him in the line of Abraham, the father of the nation of Israel, and of David, their greatest king (1:1).
Matthew also recorded the circumstances of Jesus’ birth (vv.18-25), affirming that it fulfilled Isaiah’s prophecy of a virgin’s child (vv.22-23; Isaiah 7:14). Matthew tells us that Jesus also fulfilled the prophecy that the “ruler . . . the shepherd for Israel” would be born in a little village called Bethlehem (2:4-6; Micah 5:2).
Magi, wise men from eastern lands, traversed thousands of miles guided by a star just to seek out the “newborn king of the Jews” (Matthew 2:1). These Persian king-makers, as representatives of the Gentile world, “bowed down and worshiped [Jesus],” giving “Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh” (v.11)—extravagant gifts fit for royalty.
Yes, Matthew had already tagged this baby so there would be no dispute about His lineage and identity. Let’s bow and worship Jesus. He’s the one we are to identify this Christmas.
The magi brought gifts to pay homage to the King. What gifts will you give to Jesus this Christmas? How do you find your identity in Him?
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more