Write Your EpitaphHow are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?
Top Christian Music Videos
Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw His star as it rose, and we have come to worship Him (v.2).
In 2010, an estimated 10.8 million babies were born every month—meaning 362,000 babies were born every day, four babies every second. So if the future king of the world was born today, how would you know where to find this newborn monarch among the thousands of other little bundles of joy? Thankfully, in most hospitals, a baby is given a tag that identifies who the baby belongs to. Matthew presented Jesus as the King of the Jews (Matthew 2:2).
Matthew “tagged” Jesus to show that this baby, born of a virgin in Bethlehem, was the King (ch.1–2). The author provided a genealogy affirming Jesus’ indisputable right to the throne (1:1-17); a genealogy that put Him in the line of Abraham, the father of the nation of Israel, and of David, their greatest king (1:1).
Matthew also recorded the circumstances of Jesus’ birth (vv.18-25), affirming that it fulfilled Isaiah’s prophecy of a virgin’s child (vv.22-23; Isaiah 7:14). Matthew tells us that Jesus also fulfilled the prophecy that the “ruler . . . the shepherd for Israel” would be born in a little village called Bethlehem (2:4-6; Micah 5:2).
Magi, wise men from eastern lands, traversed thousands of miles guided by a star just to seek out the “newborn king of the Jews” (Matthew 2:1). These Persian king-makers, as representatives of the Gentile world, “bowed down and worshiped [Jesus],” giving “Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh” (v.11)—extravagant gifts fit for royalty.
Yes, Matthew had already tagged this baby so there would be no dispute about His lineage and identity. Let’s bow and worship Jesus. He’s the one we are to identify this Christmas.
The magi brought gifts to pay homage to the King. What gifts will you give to Jesus this Christmas? How do you find your identity in Him?
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more
- Overflowing Fruit - How would you summarize the gospel message?...read more