Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw His star as it rose, and we have come to worship Him (v.2).
In 2010, an estimated 10.8 million babies were born every month—meaning 362,000 babies were born every day, four babies every second. So if the future king of the world was born today, how would you know where to find this newborn monarch among the thousands of other little bundles of joy? Thankfully, in most hospitals, a baby is given a tag that identifies who the baby belongs to. Matthew presented Jesus as the King of the Jews (Matthew 2:2).
Matthew “tagged” Jesus to show that this baby, born of a virgin in Bethlehem, was the King (ch.1–2). The author provided a genealogy affirming Jesus’ indisputable right to the throne (1:1-17); a genealogy that put Him in the line of Abraham, the father of the nation of Israel, and of David, their greatest king (1:1).
Matthew also recorded the circumstances of Jesus’ birth (vv.18-25), affirming that it fulfilled Isaiah’s prophecy of a virgin’s child (vv.22-23; Isaiah 7:14). Matthew tells us that Jesus also fulfilled the prophecy that the “ruler . . . the shepherd for Israel” would be born in a little village called Bethlehem (2:4-6; Micah 5:2).
Magi, wise men from eastern lands, traversed thousands of miles guided by a star just to seek out the “newborn king of the Jews” (Matthew 2:1). These Persian king-makers, as representatives of the Gentile world, “bowed down and worshiped [Jesus],” giving “Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh” (v.11)—extravagant gifts fit for royalty.
Yes, Matthew had already tagged this baby so there would be no dispute about His lineage and identity. Let’s bow and worship Jesus. He’s the one we are to identify this Christmas.
The magi brought gifts to pay homage to the King. What gifts will you give to Jesus this Christmas? How do you find your identity in Him?
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more