Prayerful RetreatHow often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Can You Relate?
How can you think of saying, “Friend, let me help you get rid of that
speck in your eye,” when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? (v.42).
Recently, I went to great lengths to help a friend. My
efforts cost me significant time, money, and energy.
And what did I get in return when it was all said
and done? Nothing. Not even a “thank you.”
My stewing over this person’s lack of gratitude came
to an abrupt halt, however, when I discovered a stack of
blank “thank you” cards on my desk. I had neglected to
fill them out and send them to people who had done far
more for me than I had done for my friend.
Prior to this discovery, I had actually told myself, I
would never fail to thank someone when thanks is due.
The unwritten cards proved otherwise and emphasized
that—once again—I needed the rebuke found in Luke
6:42: “How can you think of saying, ‘Friend, let me help
you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see
past the log in your own eye?”
Am I alone here, or do you also find it easier to
find faults in others than to be honest about your own
shortcomings? Scripture doesn’t sugarcoat how God
feels about hypocrisy. It clearly states that He takes no
pleasure in people’s false appearances of virtue (Psalm
78:36-37), particularly the expression of our faith.
Jesus said, “What sorrow awaits you teachers of
religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you
are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and
the dish, but inside you are filthy—full of greed and
self-indulgence!” (Matthew 23:25). And while we may think our flaws and
sins are concealed, they aren’t. “For the Lord sees clearly what a man does,
examining every path he takes” (Proverbs 5:21).
Unlike people, God can see into the depths of our heart (1 Samuel 16:6-
8). He won’t relate to our hypocrisy, but He can help us live out honesty and
Read 1 Timothy 1:2 to see the effects of hypocrisy on your conscience.
Ask God to show you an area of hypocrisy in your life. How will you apply
the truths found in God’s Word to this issue?
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more