John's QuestionWhat steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?
Top Music Videos
Can You Relate?
How can you think of saying, “Friend, let me help you get rid of that
speck in your eye,” when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? (v.42).
Recently, I went to great lengths to help a friend. My
efforts cost me significant time, money, and energy.
And what did I get in return when it was all said
and done? Nothing. Not even a “thank you.”
My stewing over this person’s lack of gratitude came
to an abrupt halt, however, when I discovered a stack of
blank “thank you” cards on my desk. I had neglected to
fill them out and send them to people who had done far
more for me than I had done for my friend.
Prior to this discovery, I had actually told myself, I
would never fail to thank someone when thanks is due.
The unwritten cards proved otherwise and emphasized
that—once again—I needed the rebuke found in Luke
6:42: “How can you think of saying, ‘Friend, let me help
you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see
past the log in your own eye?”
Am I alone here, or do you also find it easier to
find faults in others than to be honest about your own
shortcomings? Scripture doesn’t sugarcoat how God
feels about hypocrisy. It clearly states that He takes no
pleasure in people’s false appearances of virtue (Psalm
78:36-37), particularly the expression of our faith.
Jesus said, “What sorrow awaits you teachers of
religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you
are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and
the dish, but inside you are filthy—full of greed and
self-indulgence!” (Matthew 23:25). And while we may think our flaws and
sins are concealed, they aren’t. “For the Lord sees clearly what a man does,
examining every path he takes” (Proverbs 5:21).
Unlike people, God can see into the depths of our heart (1 Samuel 16:6-
8). He won’t relate to our hypocrisy, but He can help us live out honesty and
Read 1 Timothy 1:2 to see the effects of hypocrisy on your conscience.
Ask God to show you an area of hypocrisy in your life. How will you apply
the truths found in God’s Word to this issue?
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more