FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
Can You Relate?
How can you think of saying, “Friend, let me help you get rid of that
speck in your eye,” when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? (v.42).
Recently, I went to great lengths to help a friend. My
efforts cost me significant time, money, and energy.
And what did I get in return when it was all said
and done? Nothing. Not even a “thank you.”
My stewing over this person’s lack of gratitude came
to an abrupt halt, however, when I discovered a stack of
blank “thank you” cards on my desk. I had neglected to
fill them out and send them to people who had done far
more for me than I had done for my friend.
Prior to this discovery, I had actually told myself, I
would never fail to thank someone when thanks is due.
The unwritten cards proved otherwise and emphasized
that—once again—I needed the rebuke found in Luke
6:42: “How can you think of saying, ‘Friend, let me help
you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see
past the log in your own eye?”
Am I alone here, or do you also find it easier to
find faults in others than to be honest about your own
shortcomings? Scripture doesn’t sugarcoat how God
feels about hypocrisy. It clearly states that He takes no
pleasure in people’s false appearances of virtue (Psalm
78:36-37), particularly the expression of our faith.
Jesus said, “What sorrow awaits you teachers of
religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you
are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and
the dish, but inside you are filthy—full of greed and
self-indulgence!” (Matthew 23:25). And while we may think our flaws and
sins are concealed, they aren’t. “For the Lord sees clearly what a man does,
examining every path he takes” (Proverbs 5:21).
Unlike people, God can see into the depths of our heart (1 Samuel 16:6-
8). He won’t relate to our hypocrisy, but He can help us live out honesty and
Read 1 Timothy 1:2 to see the effects of hypocrisy on your conscience.
Ask God to show you an area of hypocrisy in your life. How will you apply
the truths found in God’s Word to this issue?
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more