Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
Can You Relate?
How can you think of saying, “Friend, let me help you get rid of that
speck in your eye,” when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? (v.42).
Recently, I went to great lengths to help a friend. My
efforts cost me significant time, money, and energy.
And what did I get in return when it was all said
and done? Nothing. Not even a “thank you.”
My stewing over this person’s lack of gratitude came
to an abrupt halt, however, when I discovered a stack of
blank “thank you” cards on my desk. I had neglected to
fill them out and send them to people who had done far
more for me than I had done for my friend.
Prior to this discovery, I had actually told myself, I
would never fail to thank someone when thanks is due.
The unwritten cards proved otherwise and emphasized
that—once again—I needed the rebuke found in Luke
6:42: “How can you think of saying, ‘Friend, let me help
you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see
past the log in your own eye?”
Am I alone here, or do you also find it easier to
find faults in others than to be honest about your own
shortcomings? Scripture doesn’t sugarcoat how God
feels about hypocrisy. It clearly states that He takes no
pleasure in people’s false appearances of virtue (Psalm
78:36-37), particularly the expression of our faith.
Jesus said, “What sorrow awaits you teachers of
religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you
are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and
the dish, but inside you are filthy—full of greed and
self-indulgence!” (Matthew 23:25). And while we may think our flaws and
sins are concealed, they aren’t. “For the Lord sees clearly what a man does,
examining every path he takes” (Proverbs 5:21).
Unlike people, God can see into the depths of our heart (1 Samuel 16:6-
8). He won’t relate to our hypocrisy, but He can help us live out honesty and
Read 1 Timothy 1:2 to see the effects of hypocrisy on your conscience.
Ask God to show you an area of hypocrisy in your life. How will you apply
the truths found in God’s Word to this issue?
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more