Based on a True StoryWhat restoration has God brought to your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Can You Relate?
How can you think of saying, “Friend, let me help you get rid of that
speck in your eye,” when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? (v.42).
Recently, I went to great lengths to help a friend. My
efforts cost me significant time, money, and energy.
And what did I get in return when it was all said
and done? Nothing. Not even a “thank you.”
My stewing over this person’s lack of gratitude came
to an abrupt halt, however, when I discovered a stack of
blank “thank you” cards on my desk. I had neglected to
fill them out and send them to people who had done far
more for me than I had done for my friend.
Prior to this discovery, I had actually told myself, I
would never fail to thank someone when thanks is due.
The unwritten cards proved otherwise and emphasized
that—once again—I needed the rebuke found in Luke
6:42: “How can you think of saying, ‘Friend, let me help
you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see
past the log in your own eye?”
Am I alone here, or do you also find it easier to
find faults in others than to be honest about your own
shortcomings? Scripture doesn’t sugarcoat how God
feels about hypocrisy. It clearly states that He takes no
pleasure in people’s false appearances of virtue (Psalm
78:36-37), particularly the expression of our faith.
Jesus said, “What sorrow awaits you teachers of
religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you
are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and
the dish, but inside you are filthy—full of greed and
self-indulgence!” (Matthew 23:25). And while we may think our flaws and
sins are concealed, they aren’t. “For the Lord sees clearly what a man does,
examining every path he takes” (Proverbs 5:21).
Unlike people, God can see into the depths of our heart (1 Samuel 16:6-
8). He won’t relate to our hypocrisy, but He can help us live out honesty and
Read 1 Timothy 1:2 to see the effects of hypocrisy on your conscience.
Ask God to show you an area of hypocrisy in your life. How will you apply
the truths found in God’s Word to this issue?
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more