What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
Agrippa interrupted him. “Do you think you can persuade me to become a Christian so quickly?” (26:28).
Friends of mine are acquainted with a media leader. He invited them to appear on his television show to talk about a family tragedy, and he was so impressed by their faith in Christ that he invited them back.
When I asked my friends about their experience, they said that the news anchor seemed to be in awe of their faith. He marveled at how they had survived—and even thrived—through an ordeal that would have ruined many families. But when they suggested that he could enjoy a similar, sustaining relationship with Jesus, he replied that such faith was not for him, because he was “spiritual, but not religious.”
Or maybe he just has too much to lose. It’s difficult to give your life to Jesus if it means putting a lucrative career in jeopardy. The man knows that his conversion would make news and could cost him tens of millions of dollars in annual income and the fame and influence he has worked his entire life to achieve.
This cultural leader seems like King Agrippa, who—though impressed by the testimony of Paul—refused to convert on the spot. It seems he knew that Paul’s story was true (Acts 26:26), but a man in his position could not be seen considering a conversion to Christ. So when Paul told him that he knew he believed the gospel, Agrippa blurted out that he would need more time. He was a “spiritual” king, he knew of the prophets (v.3), but he wasn’t ready to become “religious.” He wasn’t ready to be a follower of Jesus (vv.27-28).
What position, relationship, or status prevents you from wholeheartedly giving yourself to Jesus? When you count the cost of following Him, don’t merely tally up what you stand to lose from obeying Jesus, but also count what you will lose if you don’t.
To get something, we often have to give something. What do you need to give to Jesus? What will you get in return?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more