The Lost VirtueIn what common circumstances are you most impatient?
Top Christian Music Videos
Agrippa interrupted him. “Do you think you can persuade me to become a Christian so quickly?” (26:28).
Friends of mine are acquainted with a media leader. He invited them to appear on his television show to talk about a family tragedy, and he was so impressed by their faith in Christ that he invited them back.
When I asked my friends about their experience, they said that the news anchor seemed to be in awe of their faith. He marveled at how they had survived—and even thrived—through an ordeal that would have ruined many families. But when they suggested that he could enjoy a similar, sustaining relationship with Jesus, he replied that such faith was not for him, because he was “spiritual, but not religious.”
Or maybe he just has too much to lose. It’s difficult to give your life to Jesus if it means putting a lucrative career in jeopardy. The man knows that his conversion would make news and could cost him tens of millions of dollars in annual income and the fame and influence he has worked his entire life to achieve.
This cultural leader seems like King Agrippa, who—though impressed by the testimony of Paul—refused to convert on the spot. It seems he knew that Paul’s story was true (Acts 26:26), but a man in his position could not be seen considering a conversion to Christ. So when Paul told him that he knew he believed the gospel, Agrippa blurted out that he would need more time. He was a “spiritual” king, he knew of the prophets (v.3), but he wasn’t ready to become “religious.” He wasn’t ready to be a follower of Jesus (vv.27-28).
What position, relationship, or status prevents you from wholeheartedly giving yourself to Jesus? When you count the cost of following Him, don’t merely tally up what you stand to lose from obeying Jesus, but also count what you will lose if you don’t.
To get something, we often have to give something. What do you need to give to Jesus? What will you get in return?
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more