Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
Agrippa interrupted him. “Do you think you can persuade me to become a Christian so quickly?” (26:28).
Friends of mine are acquainted with a media leader. He invited them to appear on his television show to talk about a family tragedy, and he was so impressed by their faith in Christ that he invited them back.
When I asked my friends about their experience, they said that the news anchor seemed to be in awe of their faith. He marveled at how they had survived—and even thrived—through an ordeal that would have ruined many families. But when they suggested that he could enjoy a similar, sustaining relationship with Jesus, he replied that such faith was not for him, because he was “spiritual, but not religious.”
Or maybe he just has too much to lose. It’s difficult to give your life to Jesus if it means putting a lucrative career in jeopardy. The man knows that his conversion would make news and could cost him tens of millions of dollars in annual income and the fame and influence he has worked his entire life to achieve.
This cultural leader seems like King Agrippa, who—though impressed by the testimony of Paul—refused to convert on the spot. It seems he knew that Paul’s story was true (Acts 26:26), but a man in his position could not be seen considering a conversion to Christ. So when Paul told him that he knew he believed the gospel, Agrippa blurted out that he would need more time. He was a “spiritual” king, he knew of the prophets (v.3), but he wasn’t ready to become “religious.” He wasn’t ready to be a follower of Jesus (vv.27-28).
What position, relationship, or status prevents you from wholeheartedly giving yourself to Jesus? When you count the cost of following Him, don’t merely tally up what you stand to lose from obeying Jesus, but also count what you will lose if you don’t.
To get something, we often have to give something. What do you need to give to Jesus? What will you get in return?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more