Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Recently a friend said to me, "I used to fear how people perceived me. Then I discovered that Satan's deviousness is something even greater to fear. Later, however, I learned that to fall under God's wrath is to be feared the most."
Zephaniah describes the day when God's anger will be poured out as "a day of terrible distress and anguish, a day of ruin and desolation, a day of darkness and gloom, a day of clouds and blackness" (1:15). The prophet's description presents a terrifying picture! Note the descriptive nouns used to characterize this day when God will pour out His wrath on those who have chosen sin instead of Him.
The initial warnings in Zephaniah's message were directed to the people in Judah. They had worshiped God, but only superficially, for they worshiped other gods too. Judah had turned away from following the Lord and failed to seek Him and His guidance (vv.4-6). Though they said they believed in the existence of God, it had little or no impact on the way they lived.
Zephaniah said, "Stand in silence in the presence of the Sovereign Lord, for the awesome day of the Lord's judgment is near" (v.7). What does it mean to be silent before the Lord? It may mean that we should stop making excuses for our sin, or that we cease trying to deny that we're sinners, deserving of God's wrath. Silence is sometimes viewed as a way of admitting one's guilt (Leviticus 10:3). It is also a sign of reverence (Psalm 62:1; Habakkuk 2:20).
After being silent, we must repent by seeking the Lord and following His commands, to do what is right and to live humbly (Zephaniah 2:3). Although God's great day of judgment is coming soon (1:14-16), it's not too late to turn back to God. , Poh Fang Chia
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more