Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Recently a friend said to me, "I used to fear how people perceived me. Then I discovered that Satan's deviousness is something even greater to fear. Later, however, I learned that to fall under God's wrath is to be feared the most."
Zephaniah describes the day when God's anger will be poured out as "a day of terrible distress and anguish, a day of ruin and desolation, a day of darkness and gloom, a day of clouds and blackness" (1:15). The prophet's description presents a terrifying picture! Note the descriptive nouns used to characterize this day when God will pour out His wrath on those who have chosen sin instead of Him.
The initial warnings in Zephaniah's message were directed to the people in Judah. They had worshiped God, but only superficially, for they worshiped other gods too. Judah had turned away from following the Lord and failed to seek Him and His guidance (vv.4-6). Though they said they believed in the existence of God, it had little or no impact on the way they lived.
Zephaniah said, "Stand in silence in the presence of the Sovereign Lord, for the awesome day of the Lord's judgment is near" (v.7). What does it mean to be silent before the Lord? It may mean that we should stop making excuses for our sin, or that we cease trying to deny that we're sinners, deserving of God's wrath. Silence is sometimes viewed as a way of admitting one's guilt (Leviticus 10:3). It is also a sign of reverence (Psalm 62:1; Habakkuk 2:20).
After being silent, we must repent by seeking the Lord and following His commands, to do what is right and to live humbly (Zephaniah 2:3). Although God's great day of judgment is coming soon (1:14-16), it's not too late to turn back to God. , Poh Fang Chia
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more