What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
Jesus said, “Come to Me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy
burdens, and I will give you rest” (v.28).
While we were on vacation in Alaska, our
family visited the kennels that house Denali’s
sled dogs. There we got to observe and learn
about these amazing animals that help park rangers
patrol the vast wilderness of Mount McKinley National
Park during the long, harsh winter months.
One of the intriguing things we discovered about sled
dogs is their incredible stamina. Patrols using the tireless
canines can last up to 6 weeks—and the dogs are more
than up for it. Alaskan Huskies live to run and pull.
The only problem is that they don’t know when to stop.
Rangers have to make them stop and rest. Otherwise,
they’d simply run themselves to death.
Maybe it’s my love for dogs, but I saw a parallel to
my life that was striking. I too love to “run” and “pull”
my own weight. I’m the kind of person who is typically
on the go and has trouble slowing down and resting. In
fact, my family understandably gets after me when I wolf
down (pun intended) a meal standing up.
A sled dog’s need for rest resonates with the words of
David in Psalm 23: “The Lord is my Shepherd; I have all
that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; He leads
me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength”
(vv.1-3). This is a wonderful description of God’s loving
care for us. Too often, however, I am running so hard
that He can’t restore my weary heart. It’s why I need a
wise and loving Shepherd who says, “Come to Me, all of you who are weary”
God meant for us to work and to pull our own weight (Genesis 2:15). But He
also knows we need rest or we will run ourselves ragged.
Jesus, may we learn to respond to Your call to rest. —Jeff Olson
Read Psalms 62:1 to learn how we should rest in God and wait for Him
to work in our difficult situations.
How are you seeking God’s restoration for your soul? What will
you do this week to experience His peace and presence?
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more