Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
At His Word
It was by faith that Moses’ parents hid him for three months when he was born. They saw that God had given them an unusual child, and they were not afraid to disobey the king’s command (Hebrews 11:23).
It goes without saying that Katie Davis is an exceptionalyoung woman. At just 19 years old, she began serving needy children in Uganda—leaving behind the creature comforts of America. And now, at 22, her work—Amazima Ministries—pays the tuition for 450 Ugandan children to attend a Christian school and also feeds 1,600 hungry children in the community. She personally cares for 13 orphans who live with her—providing them with food, clothing, and a home-school education. What’s funny is that Katie doesn’t see her life as something special. She’s simply taking God at His Word—following His lead in caring for the less fortunate.
The risks and total surrender to God’s will that Katie has lived out reminds me of a woman named Jochebed (Exodus 6:20). This woman took an incredible risk in hiding her Jewish son because the Pharaoh of Egypt had declared that “every newborn Hebrew boy [be thrown] into the Nile River” (1:22). She hid the boy for 3 months, then placed him in a small basket sealed “with tar and pitch” and placed it in the reeds along the bank of the Nile (2:3).
This act was later lifted up by the writer of Hebrews as a display of great faith: “It was by faith that Moses’ parents hid him for three months when he was born. They saw that God had given them an unusual child, and they were not afraid to disobey the king’s command” (Hebrews 11:23). In other words, they risked it all because they were taking God at His Word.
Jochebed’s little baby became the great leader of the Israelites—Moses. He led God’s people out of Egypt—saving the lives of countless men, women, and children.
Taking God at His Word may include risk. But there’s great reward in following Him. Just ask Jochebed—and Katie.
What is God calling you to risk for Him? What key questions should be answered before taking a risk for God?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more