Persecuted but GrowingHave you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?
Top Christian Music Videos
At His Word
It was by faith that Moses’ parents hid him for three months when he was born. They saw that God had given them an unusual child, and they were not afraid to disobey the king’s command (Hebrews 11:23).
It goes without saying that Katie Davis is an exceptionalyoung woman. At just 19 years old, she began serving needy children in Uganda—leaving behind the creature comforts of America. And now, at 22, her work—Amazima Ministries—pays the tuition for 450 Ugandan children to attend a Christian school and also feeds 1,600 hungry children in the community. She personally cares for 13 orphans who live with her—providing them with food, clothing, and a home-school education. What’s funny is that Katie doesn’t see her life as something special. She’s simply taking God at His Word—following His lead in caring for the less fortunate.
The risks and total surrender to God’s will that Katie has lived out reminds me of a woman named Jochebed (Exodus 6:20). This woman took an incredible risk in hiding her Jewish son because the Pharaoh of Egypt had declared that “every newborn Hebrew boy [be thrown] into the Nile River” (1:22). She hid the boy for 3 months, then placed him in a small basket sealed “with tar and pitch” and placed it in the reeds along the bank of the Nile (2:3).
This act was later lifted up by the writer of Hebrews as a display of great faith: “It was by faith that Moses’ parents hid him for three months when he was born. They saw that God had given them an unusual child, and they were not afraid to disobey the king’s command” (Hebrews 11:23). In other words, they risked it all because they were taking God at His Word.
Jochebed’s little baby became the great leader of the Israelites—Moses. He led God’s people out of Egypt—saving the lives of countless men, women, and children.
Taking God at His Word may include risk. But there’s great reward in following Him. Just ask Jochebed—and Katie.
What is God calling you to risk for Him? What key questions should be answered before taking a risk for God?
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more
- Needs Met - What hungers do you think God most wants to satisfy in your life?...read more