WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Author Peter Rollins offers a jolting retelling of Jesus' feeding of the 5,000. Rollins recounts how the swarming crowds thwarted Jesus' efforts to find solitude in a boat. As the crowds poured into this remote location, it became obvious that they needed food. The disciples could only scrounge up five loaves of bread and a few fish, Jesus miraculously multiplied the meager supplies, producing piles of food. Here Rollins turned the biblical story in a disturbing direction, concluding that "Jesus and His disciples ate like kings" and "what was miraculous . . . was that when they finished this massive banquet," there wasn't a crumb left for the starving people.
Of course, this was not at all the way the story actually ended, which is precisely Rollins' point. In the biblical telling, 5,000 men (plus women and children, probably 10- to12,000 in all) ate their fill; and with everyone stuffed, Jesus' disciples gathered up "twelve baskets of leftovers" (Matthew 14:20).
Nothing in the biblical story could be further from Rollins' parable of selfishness and greed. At the beginning of the narrative, the gospel writer Matthew noted that Jesus felt intense compassion for the throngs that overwhelmed Him (v.14). This compassion moved Him to first "heal their sick" even before He began to fill their bellies (v.14).
Rollins' ending is not intended to raise questions of Jesus, but questions of us. If we consider it scandalous that Jesus and His disciples would hoard food from the hungry crowd, do we consider it just as scandalous if we do the same?
While Jesus provided generous food for everyone, I'm often consumed with making sure there is just enough for me. I can't say I follow Jesus if I hoard God's generosity for myself. , Winn Collier, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more