Next StepsHave you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?
Top Christian Music Videos
For a Lifetime
Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, . . . knowledge, . . . self-control, . . . patient endurance, . . . godliness, and . . . brotherly affection with love for everyone (vv.5-7).
David Brooks, in his book The Social Animal, details how Gary McPherson studied 157 randomly selected children who had chosen to play a musical instrument. McPherson wanted to know why some students went on to become really good musicians and why others faltered. He believed there was one factor. Even before the kids picked up their instruments, McPherson asked: “How long do you think you will play?” The students who planned to play for a short while did not become very proficient. The students who planned to practice and play their whole lives became very good musicians.
Peter reminded his readers that it was vital for them to have a lifelong commitment to follow Jesus. Only then could they soar in their faith and experience an ever-deepening relationship with him.
Peter penned a symphony of grace, urging the young believers he was addressing to continue on toward Christian maturity. He lifted up God’s promised spiritual resources that every true believer possesses in Jesus (2 Peter 1:3). Peter also wanted them to know that it would take every ounce of effort, along with the enabling power of the Holy Spirit, to supplement their faith with a complement of Christlike character traits (v.5). His readers were told to work hard at cultivating moral excellence, knowledge, self-control, patient endurance, godliness, brotherly affection, and love (vv.5-7). And, if they cultivated these character traits throughout their lives, they would become more like Jesus (v.8).
Growing in our relationship with Jesus isa lifelong process and endeavor. If we’re fully convinced and determined that we will follow Jesus all our years, it’s highly likely that our faith will take wing and soar. How strong is your commitment to follow Him?
Which of the qualities listed in 2 Peter 1:5 do you most want to add to your character traits? How will you begin developing a godly quality today?
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more