Timeless GrooveWhat lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?
Top Christian Music Videos
For a Lifetime
Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, . . . knowledge, . . . self-control, . . . patient endurance, . . . godliness, and . . . brotherly affection with love for everyone (vv.5-7).
David Brooks, in his book The Social Animal, details how Gary McPherson studied 157 randomly selected children who had chosen to play a musical instrument. McPherson wanted to know why some students went on to become really good musicians and why others faltered. He believed there was one factor. Even before the kids picked up their instruments, McPherson asked: “How long do you think you will play?” The students who planned to play for a short while did not become very proficient. The students who planned to practice and play their whole lives became very good musicians.
Peter reminded his readers that it was vital for them to have a lifelong commitment to follow Jesus. Only then could they soar in their faith and experience an ever-deepening relationship with him.
Peter penned a symphony of grace, urging the young believers he was addressing to continue on toward Christian maturity. He lifted up God’s promised spiritual resources that every true believer possesses in Jesus (2 Peter 1:3). Peter also wanted them to know that it would take every ounce of effort, along with the enabling power of the Holy Spirit, to supplement their faith with a complement of Christlike character traits (v.5). His readers were told to work hard at cultivating moral excellence, knowledge, self-control, patient endurance, godliness, brotherly affection, and love (vv.5-7). And, if they cultivated these character traits throughout their lives, they would become more like Jesus (v.8).
Growing in our relationship with Jesus isa lifelong process and endeavor. If we’re fully convinced and determined that we will follow Jesus all our years, it’s highly likely that our faith will take wing and soar. How strong is your commitment to follow Him?
Which of the qualities listed in 2 Peter 1:5 do you most want to add to your character traits? How will you begin developing a godly quality today?
- Timeless Groove - What lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?...read more
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more