Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
In 2 Chronicles 25 we read about the reign of King Amaziah, the twelfth king of Judah who took over the throne after his father was assassinated. For the most part, Amaziah was a good king who "did what was pleasing in the Lord's sight" (vv.1-2).
As he worked to restore order to his country, the king assembled an army among the men of Judah. He also hired the services of an additional 100,000 soldiers from Israel for a serious pile of silver, 3Â¾ tons to be exact (v.6). Before going off to war, however, an unnamed "man of God" warned Amaziah not to let the hired troops fight with Judah because the Lord was no longer with Israel. So, no matter how bravely his men would battle, Judah would ultimately lose because God has the "power to help you or to trip you up" (v.8).
Breaking the coalition with the soldiers from Israel was complicated. The new king had invested a lot to enlist their services, but it was an unholy alliance. So rather than wait for God to topple his house of cards, he cut his losses, trusting that God could make up for much more than he had invested (v.9).
There's a lot to take away from this story, but what sticks with me is that, when necessary, God will "trip" us up. In other words, He can disrupt any unholy alliance that threatens to undo us.
Now, God is not out to ruin us. But He will destroy what could ruin us. So when it seems as if God isn't cooperating with your agenda, consider the possibility that He's trying to save you from yourself. Sometimes He mercifully frustrates our best-laid plans for own good. , Jeff Olson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more