Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
In 2 Chronicles 25 we read about the reign of King Amaziah, the twelfth king of Judah who took over the throne after his father was assassinated. For the most part, Amaziah was a good king who "did what was pleasing in the Lord's sight" (vv.1-2).
As he worked to restore order to his country, the king assembled an army among the men of Judah. He also hired the services of an additional 100,000 soldiers from Israel for a serious pile of silver, 3Â¾ tons to be exact (v.6). Before going off to war, however, an unnamed "man of God" warned Amaziah not to let the hired troops fight with Judah because the Lord was no longer with Israel. So, no matter how bravely his men would battle, Judah would ultimately lose because God has the "power to help you or to trip you up" (v.8).
Breaking the coalition with the soldiers from Israel was complicated. The new king had invested a lot to enlist their services, but it was an unholy alliance. So rather than wait for God to topple his house of cards, he cut his losses, trusting that God could make up for much more than he had invested (v.9).
There's a lot to take away from this story, but what sticks with me is that, when necessary, God will "trip" us up. In other words, He can disrupt any unholy alliance that threatens to undo us.
Now, God is not out to ruin us. But He will destroy what could ruin us. So when it seems as if God isn't cooperating with your agenda, consider the possibility that He's trying to save you from yourself. Sometimes He mercifully frustrates our best-laid plans for own good. , Jeff Olson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more