Sacrificial LoveWhat does it mean for you to carry your cross?
Top Christian Music Videos
Creation looks forward to the day when it will join God’s children in glorious freedom from death and decay (v.21).
The title of a 2010 LIFE special edition magazine reads: “Heaven on Earth: The World’s Must-See Destinations.” It contains stunning photography of places such as the Grand Canyon, Alaska’s Denali, Petra in Jordan, and Rio de Janeiro. I’ve actually been fortunate enough to visit a few of them. But I have yet to see most of those scenic wonders.
This magazine caught my attention shortly after the death of my parents. Both my mom and dad went to be with Jesus in 2012. In the weeks and months following their deaths, I found myself grieving over all the “must-see destinations” my folks were never able to visit and enjoy in God’s vast and amazing world. The hope, however, of a renewed earth brought me great comfort.
I’m fully convinced that Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins (1 Peter 1:18). He also forgave us so that we would join Him in His mission to reclaim, liberate, and restore this physical world He created, which currently groans under the crushing weight of sin and decay (Romans 8:21).
When God finally comes back to dwell with us forever, He will fully and completely bring heaven to earth. All the broken effects of sin will be gone forever and Jesus will renew all things (Revelation 21:1), including the physical earth— reclaiming its original goodness (Genesis 1:31).
The profound implications of a renewed earth are too many to name here, but in the midst of grief I find much comfort in knowing that my parents (along with all of God’s forgiven and restored children) will have the rest of eternity to visit or revisit all of the “must-see destinations” the new heaven and earth will offer.
Read Genesis 1:1 and note the seven times God said that all He created was “good.”
What do you most look forward to in the new earth? How does your future hope in Jesus help you face difficulties in your life today?
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more