Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Lord is like a father to His children, tender and compassionate to
those who fear Him (v.13).
During my first 3 years in Uganda, I had occasional
contact with blood as I held dying children,
helped to dress wounds and open tumors, and
sought to comfort AIDS and cancer patients.
My understanding was that as long as there was no
exchange of bodily fluids or blood, I was at zero risk for
contracting HIV. It therefore came as a terrifying shock
to me when, during the summer of 2010, a doctor found
my white blood cell count was dangerously low, possibly
indicating that I had acquired HIV. Though a subsequent
HIV test came back “negative,” it took me several days to
recover from the fear I had experienced while anxiously
awaiting the results.
Fear can cause grown men and women to tremble
(Exodus 20:18), and it can cause such paranoia that even
“the sound of a leaf driven by the wind” sends him or her
diving for cover and running “as though fleeing from a
sword” even when no one is in pursuit (Leviticus 26:36).
Fear can cause ulcers, heart attacks, and other health
maladies. It can also prevent us from taking steps of faith
or lead us to acts of desperation. There are many positive
effects that fear can produce when properly directed.
Fear of God, for example, “will keep you from sinning!”
(Exodus 20:19). Fearing God in a reverent manner
and obeying His commands also positions us to receive
God’s blessings (Leviticus 26:36.
The “fear of the Lord is the foundation of true wisdom” (Psalms 111:10;
Proverbs 9:10), and helps us “escape from the snares of death” (Proverbs 14:27). “Fear
of the Lord,” Proverbs 19:23 says, is to be embraced, for it “leads to life,
bringing security and protection from harm.”
Make it your goal to let fear work in your favor, by fearing God above all
According to Proverbs 29:25, what type of fear is a dangerous trap? Why?
What fears do you need to release to God? Why is it vital that you
reverently fear Him as you live out your faith?
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more