Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
The Lord is like a father to His children, tender and compassionate to
those who fear Him (v.13).
During my first 3 years in Uganda, I had occasional
contact with blood as I held dying children,
helped to dress wounds and open tumors, and
sought to comfort AIDS and cancer patients.
My understanding was that as long as there was no
exchange of bodily fluids or blood, I was at zero risk for
contracting HIV. It therefore came as a terrifying shock
to me when, during the summer of 2010, a doctor found
my white blood cell count was dangerously low, possibly
indicating that I had acquired HIV. Though a subsequent
HIV test came back “negative,” it took me several days to
recover from the fear I had experienced while anxiously
awaiting the results.
Fear can cause grown men and women to tremble
(Exodus 20:18), and it can cause such paranoia that even
“the sound of a leaf driven by the wind” sends him or her
diving for cover and running “as though fleeing from a
sword” even when no one is in pursuit (Leviticus 26:36).
Fear can cause ulcers, heart attacks, and other health
maladies. It can also prevent us from taking steps of faith
or lead us to acts of desperation. There are many positive
effects that fear can produce when properly directed.
Fear of God, for example, “will keep you from sinning!”
(Exodus 20:19). Fearing God in a reverent manner
and obeying His commands also positions us to receive
God’s blessings (Leviticus 26:36.
The “fear of the Lord is the foundation of true wisdom” (Psalms 111:10;
Proverbs 9:10), and helps us “escape from the snares of death” (Proverbs 14:27). “Fear
of the Lord,” Proverbs 19:23 says, is to be embraced, for it “leads to life,
bringing security and protection from harm.”
Make it your goal to let fear work in your favor, by fearing God above all
According to Proverbs 29:25, what type of fear is a dangerous trap? Why?
What fears do you need to release to God? Why is it vital that you
reverently fear Him as you live out your faith?
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more