Confession and BlessingHow does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
Friday September 27
crime and punishment
An English media personality was highly honored when he was alive. At his funeral, someone said of him, “His story was an epic of giving. Giving of time, giving of talent, giving of treasure. [He] can face eternal life with confidence.” But then the police launched a criminal investigation into more than 300 allegations of child sexual abuse and rape by the deceased.
If proven guilty, no one will be able to hold the man accountable for his misdeeds. He’s dead. Does that seem unfair? The prophet Nahum helps us deal with this issue, revealing a God who is both just and merciful:
“The Lord is a jealous God, filled with vengeance and rage” (Nahum 1:2). God is jealous for His glory and for those He loves. It’s impossible to violate the glory and honor of God and those He loves and not face His wrath.
“The Lord is slow to get angry, but His power is great, and He never lets the guilty go unpunished” (v.3). God is long-suffering. He stays His anger with mercy. But we must never confuse His patience with impotence. Nahum gives us a portrait of His almighty power in verses 3-6. God is not only just; He also has the power to execute justice.
- “The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in Him” (v.7). Jonathan Edwards reminds us that we’re all sinners in the hands of an angry God. He said, “Therefore let everyone that is out of Christ, now awake and fly from the wrath to come.” Only those who have taken refuge in Christ will be able to face eternal life with confidence.
All of us must one day stand before God. Are you ready? —Poh Fang Chia
The Lord is slow to get angry, but His power is great, and He never lets the guilty go unpunished (v.3).
How will Nahum’s description about God shape the way you deal with injustice today? Why is it comforting to know that God is both just and merciful?
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more
- Winning Wars - How has God equipped others to help you make wise decisions?...read more
- Blinding Blue Pants - What role does accountability play in your life?...read more