Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Friday September 27
crime and punishment
An English media personality was highly honored when he was alive. At his funeral, someone said of him, “His story was an epic of giving. Giving of time, giving of talent, giving of treasure. [He] can face eternal life with confidence.” But then the police launched a criminal investigation into more than 300 allegations of child sexual abuse and rape by the deceased.
If proven guilty, no one will be able to hold the man accountable for his misdeeds. He’s dead. Does that seem unfair? The prophet Nahum helps us deal with this issue, revealing a God who is both just and merciful:
“The Lord is a jealous God, filled with vengeance and rage” (Nahum 1:2). God is jealous for His glory and for those He loves. It’s impossible to violate the glory and honor of God and those He loves and not face His wrath.
“The Lord is slow to get angry, but His power is great, and He never lets the guilty go unpunished” (v.3). God is long-suffering. He stays His anger with mercy. But we must never confuse His patience with impotence. Nahum gives us a portrait of His almighty power in verses 3-6. God is not only just; He also has the power to execute justice.
- “The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in Him” (v.7). Jonathan Edwards reminds us that we’re all sinners in the hands of an angry God. He said, “Therefore let everyone that is out of Christ, now awake and fly from the wrath to come.” Only those who have taken refuge in Christ will be able to face eternal life with confidence.
All of us must one day stand before God. Are you ready? —Poh Fang Chia
The Lord is slow to get angry, but His power is great, and He never lets the guilty go unpunished (v.3).
How will Nahum’s description about God shape the way you deal with injustice today? Why is it comforting to know that God is both just and merciful?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more