Begging the Question?Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?
Top Music Videos
chariots and computers
I stared at the blank screen on my computer. It wasn’t a white page beckoning me to fill it with words—it was totally dark. I jiggled the mouse. Nothing. I removed the battery and tried to start it with just the power cord plugged in. Still nothing. Finally, the screen blinked to life. Back in business, I thought. Then, the machine blacked out again, and I knew a new computer was in my future.
With a writing deadline just a few days away, I tried not to worry. Some words to a song came to mind . . . Some trust in chariots, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God (Psalm 20:7). Each challenge we face leads us to question: Will we trust in our own resources and strength, or will we rely on God for the outcome?
It’s God who gives victory, and the Israelites had many chances to experience this as they battled with the nations that inhabited Canaan. Some of these nations were more powerful than the Israelites (Deuteronomy 7:1). But, in the end, God’s people correctly credited Him for their victories.
Generations later, they remembered that their forefathers didn’t win battles because of their own strategies or weapons. They sang to God, “You drove out the pagan nations by your power,” and “It was your right hand and strong arm and the blinding light from your face that helped them, for you loved them” (Psalm 44:2-3).
As God’s children, we have the assurance that God loves us, helps us, and is responsible for any success in our lives. These truths can strengthen us when we face challenges of many kinds. Yes, computers may break down, chariots may lose their wheels, but God can still enable us to “do mighty things” for His glory (60:12). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
It was your right hand and strong arm . . . that helped them (v.3). more›
What happens to your relationship with God when you take the credit for the success He’s given? How might a person balance confidence in a God-given skill with confidence in God?
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more