Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
chariots and computers
I stared at the blank screen on my computer. It wasn’t a white page beckoning me to fill it with words—it was totally dark. I jiggled the mouse. Nothing. I removed the battery and tried to start it with just the power cord plugged in. Still nothing. Finally, the screen blinked to life. Back in business, I thought. Then, the machine blacked out again, and I knew a new computer was in my future.
With a writing deadline just a few days away, I tried not to worry. Some words to a song came to mind . . . Some trust in chariots, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God (Psalm 20:7). Each challenge we face leads us to question: Will we trust in our own resources and strength, or will we rely on God for the outcome?
It’s God who gives victory, and the Israelites had many chances to experience this as they battled with the nations that inhabited Canaan. Some of these nations were more powerful than the Israelites (Deuteronomy 7:1). But, in the end, God’s people correctly credited Him for their victories.
Generations later, they remembered that their forefathers didn’t win battles because of their own strategies or weapons. They sang to God, “You drove out the pagan nations by your power,” and “It was your right hand and strong arm and the blinding light from your face that helped them, for you loved them” (Psalm 44:2-3).
As God’s children, we have the assurance that God loves us, helps us, and is responsible for any success in our lives. These truths can strengthen us when we face challenges of many kinds. Yes, computers may break down, chariots may lose their wheels, but God can still enable us to “do mighty things” for His glory (60:12). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
It was your right hand and strong arm . . . that helped them (v.3). more›
What happens to your relationship with God when you take the credit for the success He’s given? How might a person balance confidence in a God-given skill with confidence in God?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more