Seeking Joy in Hard, Disorienting Seasons with Dr. Lauren GilbertDecember 15, 2022 ● 39 min
Share this episode
Today’s episode continues the seasons of the soul series and explores the theme of joy amid what Psalm 23 depicts as disorientation.
Joined by friend Dr. Lauren Gilbert, we discuss the complexity of holding space for divine joy in the reality of our soul’s darkest moments. Dr. Lauren shares from her research and her heart on the challenges that our faith faces in the reality of pain, loss, and longing. Looking at both psychology and theology, we discuss how disorientation is vital to our spiritual journey and that true joy, awareness of God’s grace, can be cultivated regardless of outcomes. Additionally, we engage in the practice of listening prayer to hold space for both grieve and grace to be acknowledged this holiday season.
Follow Dr. Lauren on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drlaurengilbert/
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Listening Prayer Guide: https://www.theignatianjourney.com/scripture-and-lectio-divina
For Seasons of Disorientation:
- Journey of the Soul: A Practical Guide to Emotional and Spiritual Growth: by Bill Gaultiere and Kristi Gaultiere - https://amzn.to/3FSXBSW
- To Be Told by Dan Allender: https://bit.ly/3HETpYf
- It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered by Lysa Terkeurst - https://amzn.to/3HD12P6
- Psalm 23: https://www.biblestudytools.com/psalms/23.html
- Walter Brueggemann: Praying the Psalms: https://amzn.to/3VC2PIp
Do you have a question or topic you want to be discussed on a future Q+A episode? Carley would love to hear from you! Record your message here, and Carley just might answer it on the next episode! https://www.speakpipe.com/therapyandtheology
FOLLOW T+T on Instagram!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
A Prayer about Growing Fruit - Your Daily Prayer - January 28
The power of winter in the physical world allows the ground to rest so that in the growing season, it can do what God designed it to do—produce life. We also produce life. We can speak life with our words and bring life with our actions. But there’s a season for rest too.
The latest news and hot topics trending among Christian music, entertainment and faith life.