Responding to SufferingHow do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?
Top Music Videos
Friday September 20
There was a time, deep into my walk with Jesus, when life became extremely difficult. I told a friend that I felt like a mouse, batted back and forth between the paws of a cat that was toying with his victim before making the final blow.
Yesterday I read a blog by a woman whose husband was dying of cancer. When she was at the absolute hardest point in the battle, she had gone to the hospital cafeteria for some food. There, instead of compassion and kindness, the cashier gave her a difficult time because she was five cents short. I thought back on my time of intense struggle.
Sometimes it seems that when we’re already as stressed out, sad, angry, or hurt as we could possibly be, another arrow is shot in our direction. In those instances, even the smallest infraction against us can seem exaggerated, untimely, and unfair. It’s then that we question God’s love, protection, and provision.
When circumstances seem unbearable, God earnestly desires that we find comfort in Him. He longs for us to experience—in both the finest and most challenging times of our lives—the truth of Psalm 62:6-8 “He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken. My victory and honor come from God alone. He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me. O my people, trust in Him at all times. Pour out your heart to Him, for God is our refuge.”
I can testify that God brought me out of my darkest season. And He gave the woman mentioned above, hope, confidence, and joy, even after the death of her husband.
Today, ask God to help you grasp the essence of Joshua 1:9, “The Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” —Roxanne Robbins
O Lord God of heaven’s armies! Where is there anyone as mighty as You, O Lord? You are entirely faithful (Psalm 89:8).
Ask God to etch Psalm 18:2 on your heart so you will always remember that He’s your Refuge and the Rock where no enemy can reach you.
Reflect on a time when your trials seemed insurmountable and overwhelming. How did God minister to your heart? What can you expect of Him today?
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more