Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wednesday September 11
still in process
After 18 years of marriage, I thought I had a pretty good handle on how to love my husband. Trials, children, and the hand of God had significantly affected change in our relationship in countless ways. But gentle promptings from the Lord to pick up a particular book on love continued to interrupt my daily activities. Noticing the book when it first hit the market, I knew it would be a great resource for others. Now, God was calling me to lay down my pride and see not only what He had done in my life but also what He still desired to do.
Transformation isn’t always easy, especially when it involves our hearts. Relationships, whether with God, our spouse, or anyone else, are a journey—not a destination. Though we grow stronger through the things God is doing in us, circumstances in life will invariably bring stressors or adjustments that require us to submit humbly to God’s continued work (Romans 8:28; 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24). God often uses our closest relationships to bring about the transformation in us that will be the witness of Jesus’ love to an unbelieving world (John 13:35; Colossians 4:5).
From hidden behaviors of the heart to our self-preservationist actions, God calls us to “put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like Him” (3:10). True change, however, requires humility—a relinquishing of our rights that we might embrace His (Psalm 25:9; Proverbs 10:12).
As our worth and purpose become more hidden with Jesus (Colossians 3:3), the less we need to prove we’re right, the more we want His Word to come alive in us, and the more we truly love. —Regina Franklin
Colossians 3:10-19, 4:5-6
Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony (3:14).
Read John 15:12-17 and consider what it means to look to Jesus as our example of how to respond in our relationships with others.
What happens if we don’t view our relationship with God and others through the lens of growth and change? What specific “new nature” behaviors are you choosing to put on?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more