Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Sunday March 23
rules and grace
Students in a Christian elementary school lined up at the lunch table to get their food. At the head of the table was a pile of apples. A teacher made the following note and posted it on the apple tray: “Take only ONE. God is watching.” At the end of the table, next to a large tray of chocolate chip cookies, a clever student placed this note, “Take all you want. God is watching the apples.”
This cute tale illustrates two different kinds of people— those who follow rules and those who break them.
In response to the Pharisees complaining about Jesus socializing with sinners, He shared a story about two brothers—one obsessed with rule-keeping, the other a rule-breaker (Luke 15:11-31). The youngest brother, the rule-breaking “prodigal son,” usually gets the most attention. But let’s briefly consider the rule-following older brother.
Furious that his father was throwing a huge welcome home party for “this son of yours” who broke every rule in the book, he spouts off to his dad, “All these years I’ve slaved for you and never once refused to do a single thing you told me to do. And in all that time you never gave me . . . a feast with my friends” (vv.29-30).
The older brother’s tirade says it all—a life controlled by rule-keeping turned him into an embittered slave who was just as “lost” as his brother.
The father (who represents God), however, was just as gracious with his older son as he was with his younger. When the oldest refused to enter the party, the father “came out” to see him. And rather than scold, he gently pleaded with his son to join the celebration (vv.28-31).
Are you like the “older brother”? Join the party of God’s grace. It’s for you too! —Jeff Olson
The older brother was angry and wouldn’t go in. His father came out and begged him (v.28).
Read Mark 2:23-28 and see how Jesus challenged the Pharisees’ interpretation of the Sabbath rules.
How does your life tend to be dominated by rules? Why is it important to follow God’s commands but also to understand His grace?
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more