Testing for TruthIs the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?
Top Music Videos
Sunday March 23
rules and grace
Students in a Christian elementary school lined up at the lunch table to get their food. At the head of the table was a pile of apples. A teacher made the following note and posted it on the apple tray: “Take only ONE. God is watching.” At the end of the table, next to a large tray of chocolate chip cookies, a clever student placed this note, “Take all you want. God is watching the apples.”
This cute tale illustrates two different kinds of people— those who follow rules and those who break them.
In response to the Pharisees complaining about Jesus socializing with sinners, He shared a story about two brothers—one obsessed with rule-keeping, the other a rule-breaker (Luke 15:11-31). The youngest brother, the rule-breaking “prodigal son,” usually gets the most attention. But let’s briefly consider the rule-following older brother.
Furious that his father was throwing a huge welcome home party for “this son of yours” who broke every rule in the book, he spouts off to his dad, “All these years I’ve slaved for you and never once refused to do a single thing you told me to do. And in all that time you never gave me . . . a feast with my friends” (vv.29-30).
The older brother’s tirade says it all—a life controlled by rule-keeping turned him into an embittered slave who was just as “lost” as his brother.
The father (who represents God), however, was just as gracious with his older son as he was with his younger. When the oldest refused to enter the party, the father “came out” to see him. And rather than scold, he gently pleaded with his son to join the celebration (vv.28-31).
Are you like the “older brother”? Join the party of God’s grace. It’s for you too! —Jeff Olson
The older brother was angry and wouldn’t go in. His father came out and begged him (v.28).
Read Mark 2:23-28 and see how Jesus challenged the Pharisees’ interpretation of the Sabbath rules.
How does your life tend to be dominated by rules? Why is it important to follow God’s commands but also to understand His grace?
- Testing for Truth - Is the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?...read more
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more