John's QuestionWhat steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?
Top Music Videos
Sunday September 15
Traveling south on a highway, I passed a billboard that presented this ominous message: HELL IS REAL. I agreed with the words, but for some reason that roadside theology lesson didn’t linger in my mind. However, returning north on the same route I was jolted out of highway hypnosis by the words on the flipside of the billboard: JESUS IS REAL. These two truths posted back-to-back made me ask myself, Why doesn’t the reality of hell drive me to share Christ more frequently?
The Bible urges us to “rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment” (Jude 1:23). I believe that the fire of judgment is literal; hell is an inferno. It’s not a big party for sinners where they can enjoy an eternity of twisted pleasures. It will be a place of unrestrained evil and despair because everyone there will be “forever separated from the Lord and from His glorious power” (2 Thessalonians 1:9).
Forever is a long time. People who end up in hell will be “punished with eternal destruction” (v.9). Hades is a destination—not just an unpleasant layover on one’s journey to spiritual betterment. Bible scholar Matthew Henry wrote that people in hell will “be always dying, and yet never die. Their misery will run parallel with the line of eternity.”
The reality of eternal destruction is disturbing. It makes us shudder. But does it make us open our mouths? Does it compel us to share the reality of Jesus with people we meet? Are we willing to tell them why being a “good” person isn’t enough to keep them out of hell?
Are we willing to risk the disappointment of their disbelief? Are we willing to tell them that “the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord”? (Romans 6:23). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
2 Thessalonians 1:7-12
He will come with His mighty angels, in flaming fire, bringing judgment on those who don’t know God (vv.7-8).
Why might some people find it convenient to deny that hell exists? What is the relationship between God’s grace and hell in the spiritual destiny of every person?
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more