Faithful and TrueWhat experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?
Top Christian Music Videos
Sunday September 15
Traveling south on a highway, I passed a billboard that presented this ominous message: HELL IS REAL. I agreed with the words, but for some reason that roadside theology lesson didn’t linger in my mind. However, returning north on the same route I was jolted out of highway hypnosis by the words on the flipside of the billboard: JESUS IS REAL. These two truths posted back-to-back made me ask myself, Why doesn’t the reality of hell drive me to share Christ more frequently?
The Bible urges us to “rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment” (Jude 1:23). I believe that the fire of judgment is literal; hell is an inferno. It’s not a big party for sinners where they can enjoy an eternity of twisted pleasures. It will be a place of unrestrained evil and despair because everyone there will be “forever separated from the Lord and from His glorious power” (2 Thessalonians 1:9).
Forever is a long time. People who end up in hell will be “punished with eternal destruction” (v.9). Hades is a destination—not just an unpleasant layover on one’s journey to spiritual betterment. Bible scholar Matthew Henry wrote that people in hell will “be always dying, and yet never die. Their misery will run parallel with the line of eternity.”
The reality of eternal destruction is disturbing. It makes us shudder. But does it make us open our mouths? Does it compel us to share the reality of Jesus with people we meet? Are we willing to tell them why being a “good” person isn’t enough to keep them out of hell?
Are we willing to risk the disappointment of their disbelief? Are we willing to tell them that “the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord”? (Romans 6:23). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
2 Thessalonians 1:7-12
He will come with His mighty angels, in flaming fire, bringing judgment on those who don’t know God (vv.7-8).
Why might some people find it convenient to deny that hell exists? What is the relationship between God’s grace and hell in the spiritual destiny of every person?
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more