The First Day—AgainHow does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?
Top Music Videos
Sunday September 15
Traveling south on a highway, I passed a billboard that presented this ominous message: HELL IS REAL. I agreed with the words, but for some reason that roadside theology lesson didn’t linger in my mind. However, returning north on the same route I was jolted out of highway hypnosis by the words on the flipside of the billboard: JESUS IS REAL. These two truths posted back-to-back made me ask myself, Why doesn’t the reality of hell drive me to share Christ more frequently?
The Bible urges us to “rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment” (Jude 1:23). I believe that the fire of judgment is literal; hell is an inferno. It’s not a big party for sinners where they can enjoy an eternity of twisted pleasures. It will be a place of unrestrained evil and despair because everyone there will be “forever separated from the Lord and from His glorious power” (2 Thessalonians 1:9).
Forever is a long time. People who end up in hell will be “punished with eternal destruction” (v.9). Hades is a destination—not just an unpleasant layover on one’s journey to spiritual betterment. Bible scholar Matthew Henry wrote that people in hell will “be always dying, and yet never die. Their misery will run parallel with the line of eternity.”
The reality of eternal destruction is disturbing. It makes us shudder. But does it make us open our mouths? Does it compel us to share the reality of Jesus with people we meet? Are we willing to tell them why being a “good” person isn’t enough to keep them out of hell?
Are we willing to risk the disappointment of their disbelief? Are we willing to tell them that “the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord”? (Romans 6:23). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
2 Thessalonians 1:7-12
He will come with His mighty angels, in flaming fire, bringing judgment on those who don’t know God (vv.7-8).
Why might some people find it convenient to deny that hell exists? What is the relationship between God’s grace and hell in the spiritual destiny of every person?
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more