Hidden SinsHow have you been trying to deal with your sin?
Top Music Videos
Saturday September 21
people or God?
In every realm and relationship want people to think well of me. I am tempted to please people, especially when they give me affirmation.
I can often tell if I’ve met a person’s expectations by the look on his face or the tone of her voice. But, by God’s grace, I’ll stake my claim that I’m a former addict of man’s opinion, for I believe God is greater than any pull I might feel to please others.
If we’re honest, we all struggle in some way with trusting more in what others say and do than in the invisible and inaudible affirmations of God. Even relationships we have broken off or that faded long ago have the power to tempt us to believe in the words of man rather than our unchangeable God (Psalm 102:27; Hebrews 13:8). For we can’t physically touch the face of God.
Jeremiah vividly illustrates for us, though, the end result of making people our stronghold of safety: “Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans, who rely on human strength and turn their hearts away from the Lord. They are like stunted shrubs in the desert, with no hope for the future. They will live in the barren wilderness, in an uninhabited salty land” (Jeremiah 17:5-6).
As believers, we can’t claim fruitfulness in all seasons unless we’ve first made a covenant to serve the Lord only—not only in our actions but also in our motivations (vv.7-10). When confronted with the temptation to find our security in others (Isaiah 2:22), we find freedom when we make God our High Place, the One toward whom we turn our gaze. To Him alone be all glory, honor, and praise (1 Timothy 1:17). —Regina Franklin
O Lord, if You heal me, I will be truly healed; if You save me, I will be truly saved. My praises are for You alone! (v.14).
Read 1 Samuel 30:1-20 How was David’s trust in the Lord simultaneously a place of loneliness and of relational redemption?
What does trusting in people instead of God cost us? How is trusting in Him alone different than isolating ourselves from the counsel of others?
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more