After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
Saturday September 21
people or God?
In every realm and relationship want people to think well of me. I am tempted to please people, especially when they give me affirmation.
I can often tell if I’ve met a person’s expectations by the look on his face or the tone of her voice. But, by God’s grace, I’ll stake my claim that I’m a former addict of man’s opinion, for I believe God is greater than any pull I might feel to please others.
If we’re honest, we all struggle in some way with trusting more in what others say and do than in the invisible and inaudible affirmations of God. Even relationships we have broken off or that faded long ago have the power to tempt us to believe in the words of man rather than our unchangeable God (Psalm 102:27; Hebrews 13:8). For we can’t physically touch the face of God.
Jeremiah vividly illustrates for us, though, the end result of making people our stronghold of safety: “Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans, who rely on human strength and turn their hearts away from the Lord. They are like stunted shrubs in the desert, with no hope for the future. They will live in the barren wilderness, in an uninhabited salty land” (Jeremiah 17:5-6).
As believers, we can’t claim fruitfulness in all seasons unless we’ve first made a covenant to serve the Lord only—not only in our actions but also in our motivations (vv.7-10). When confronted with the temptation to find our security in others (Isaiah 2:22), we find freedom when we make God our High Place, the One toward whom we turn our gaze. To Him alone be all glory, honor, and praise (1 Timothy 1:17). —Regina Franklin
O Lord, if You heal me, I will be truly healed; if You save me, I will be truly saved. My praises are for You alone! (v.14).
Read 1 Samuel 30:1-20 How was David’s trust in the Lord simultaneously a place of loneliness and of relational redemption?
What does trusting in people instead of God cost us? How is trusting in Him alone different than isolating ourselves from the counsel of others?
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more