WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Saturday September 21
people or God?
In every realm and relationship want people to think well of me. I am tempted to please people, especially when they give me affirmation.
I can often tell if I’ve met a person’s expectations by the look on his face or the tone of her voice. But, by God’s grace, I’ll stake my claim that I’m a former addict of man’s opinion, for I believe God is greater than any pull I might feel to please others.
If we’re honest, we all struggle in some way with trusting more in what others say and do than in the invisible and inaudible affirmations of God. Even relationships we have broken off or that faded long ago have the power to tempt us to believe in the words of man rather than our unchangeable God (Psalm 102:27; Hebrews 13:8). For we can’t physically touch the face of God.
Jeremiah vividly illustrates for us, though, the end result of making people our stronghold of safety: “Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans, who rely on human strength and turn their hearts away from the Lord. They are like stunted shrubs in the desert, with no hope for the future. They will live in the barren wilderness, in an uninhabited salty land” (Jeremiah 17:5-6).
As believers, we can’t claim fruitfulness in all seasons unless we’ve first made a covenant to serve the Lord only—not only in our actions but also in our motivations (vv.7-10). When confronted with the temptation to find our security in others (Isaiah 2:22), we find freedom when we make God our High Place, the One toward whom we turn our gaze. To Him alone be all glory, honor, and praise (1 Timothy 1:17). —Regina Franklin
O Lord, if You heal me, I will be truly healed; if You save me, I will be truly saved. My praises are for You alone! (v.14).
Read 1 Samuel 30:1-20 How was David’s trust in the Lord simultaneously a place of loneliness and of relational redemption?
What does trusting in people instead of God cost us? How is trusting in Him alone different than isolating ourselves from the counsel of others?
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more