Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 28
God’s Job, and Ours
[The widow] did as Elijah said, and she and Elijah and her family continued to eat for many days (v.15).
When I was first called to pastor a church, my family and I were, frankly, broke! I had just finished Bible college and my wife had been homeschooling our young daughters. The church was in a popular area, and house prices were at a premium. We needed a home, but they were all so very expensive. We really liked one place, but had no money for a deposit or to offer for rent. The real estate agent asked us if we wanted it.
I took my wife aside and said, “What do we do? We have no money for this.” Her wise words humbled me: “This was not our idea; we never asked to be here or even to pastor a church. It was God’s idea, so it’s His job. We just obey.” So we simply said “yes” to the agent and walked away. All the money came in over the next few days.
Elijah heard from God and was bold enough to walk up to a king and tell him some hard news—the land was about to experience a 3 1/2-year drought (1 Kings 17:1). Then, following God’s instruction, he went and waited at a brook. God provided food in a miraculous way! “The ravens brought him bread and meat each morning and evening” (v.6). After the water dried up, God sent Elijah to Zarephath. In that village, God performed another amazing act of provision. This time, the food didn’t come by way of birds, but by a simple request made by the prophet to a widow (v.13). She obeyed and God did the rest (vv.14-15).
The pattern here is very simple. It’s our job to follow as God leads, and then obey the things He asks us to do (vv.1-4). As we follow Him, He will provide not what we necessarily want, but what we truly need—sometimes in amazing ways. —Russell Fralick
Read Matthew 14:13-21 and consider what Jesus asked His disciples to do and how they responded.
What next step is God asking you to take? How does obedience reflect your love for God and trust in Him?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more