Test of CourageRead Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God.
Top Christian Music Videos
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 28
God’s Job, and Ours
[The widow] did as Elijah said, and she and Elijah and her family continued to eat for many days (v.15).
When I was first called to pastor a church, my family and I were, frankly, broke! I had just finished Bible college and my wife had been homeschooling our young daughters. The church was in a popular area, and house prices were at a premium. We needed a home, but they were all so very expensive. We really liked one place, but had no money for a deposit or to offer for rent. The real estate agent asked us if we wanted it.
I took my wife aside and said, “What do we do? We have no money for this.” Her wise words humbled me: “This was not our idea; we never asked to be here or even to pastor a church. It was God’s idea, so it’s His job. We just obey.” So we simply said “yes” to the agent and walked away. All the money came in over the next few days.
Elijah heard from God and was bold enough to walk up to a king and tell him some hard news—the land was about to experience a 3 1/2-year drought (1 Kings 17:1). Then, following God’s instruction, he went and waited at a brook. God provided food in a miraculous way! “The ravens brought him bread and meat each morning and evening” (v.6). After the water dried up, God sent Elijah to Zarephath. In that village, God performed another amazing act of provision. This time, the food didn’t come by way of birds, but by a simple request made by the prophet to a widow (v.13). She obeyed and God did the rest (vv.14-15).
The pattern here is very simple. It’s our job to follow as God leads, and then obey the things He asks us to do (vv.1-4). As we follow Him, He will provide not what we necessarily want, but what we truly need—sometimes in amazing ways. —Russell Fralick
Read Matthew 14:13-21 and consider what Jesus asked His disciples to do and how they responded.
What next step is God asking you to take? How does obedience reflect your love for God and trust in Him?
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more