Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wednesday March 26
I love excellence and I even battle against perfectionism from time to time. But there are times I find speed more desirable than precision. As evidence, behind every picture on my walls is a cluster of tiny pinholes. It’s no wonder that the occasional picture falls from its place. After all, I can’t expect much from a technique that relies on a hairbrush in lieu of a hammer, and a good eye instead of a tape measure. My attempts simply seemed faster than measured accuracy.
We can’t choose expediency in spiritual pursuits and expect to remain anchored in the will of God, especially when we face hardships. Paul reminded his readers in Corinth that “Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe” (2 Corinthians 4:4). And some participants in the deeds of darkness created havoc for believers—sometimes even to the point of death (vv.11-12). Battles rage in the spirit realm. The force is no less vigorous than if we could feel the stinging arrows striking our physical bodies (Ephesians 6:12).
As fragile beings, we are often fear-ridden and beset by doubt. Yet God loved us enough to speak light into our darkness. Far more than an aesthetic adjustment, Paul’s admonition to “fix our gaze” is the choice between a superficial faith requiring little and the rock-solid decision to remain steadfast (2 Corinthians 4:18).
Unmoved by circumstances, true faith rests on the surety of God at work in mortal humanity, a belief that “though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day” (v.16). It is, in essence, the conviction that He is at work in us (1 Corinthians 1:8-9). —Regina Franklin
2 Corinthians 4:1-18
So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever (v.18).
Read Matthew 7:13-29 and consider the traits of a faith built on sand as compared to one built on the rock.
Have you been tempted to “cut corners” in times of difficulty? What does it mean for you to remain steadfast and still be real about the struggles you’re facing?
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more