LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
"Prosperity preachers don't last long in countries where there is persecution. They usually just leave." That quote by Ajith Fernando from his book The Call to Joy and Pain captures two realities of the Christian faith: (1) Jesus suffered; (2) those who believe in Him will suffer too.
Unlike "health and wealth" false teachers, Jesus taught that suffering was something God uses for our good. In Hebrews 2:10, the writer states that Jesus became "through His suffering, a perfect leader." This doesn't mean that Jesus wasn't already perfect, for He is God the Son. It does point out, however, that death allowed Him to intimately know the final stage of human experience, giving Him an even more perfect ability to identify with our struggles (5:8).
The apostle Paul experienced the perfecting process of pain. He prayed three times for God to remove something that was tormenting him. But God allowed it to persist, saying, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9). Paul's response? "That's why I take pleasure in . . . [suffering] for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong" (v.10).
Jesus is able to identify with us and help us because of the hardships He endured. "Since He Himself has gone through suffering and testing, He is able to help us when we are being tested" (Hebrews 2:18). He "understands our weaknesses, for He faced all of the same testings we do" (4:15).
Are you experiencing suffering? Don't fight against it as one who has no hope. Don't believe the lies of false teachers who wrongly say, "You simply need more faith to overcome your struggles."
Instead, embrace your suffering as a gift from God, being used to perfect you and your faith in Him (12:2). , Tom Felten, Our Daily Jounrey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more