WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
We have friends who don't get very excited about holidays. Our family, however, well, we get downright giddy when a special day pops up on the calendar.
Obviously, we throw a shindig for all the usual suspects (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Independence Day), and we make a big deal out of anniversaries, and any day when one of our boys loses a tooth. In fact, we celebrate birthday-week! One day just isn't enough! The theme of partying, feasting, rejoicing, laughing, emerges consistently in Scripture. Whenever God's kingdom breaks in, you find people rejoicing. In Deuteronomy, Moses lays out God's instructions for all the details of how the Israelite nation is to structure their community. He offers a blueprint of tithes whereby the people would fund their worship and the livelihood of their leaders and, yes, their parties. God wanted these parties to be festive and lavish. The people were to bring "the new wine . . . the firstborn males of [their] flocks and herds" (Deuteronomy 14:23). God placed a high priority on the people remembering to throw feasts where they would rejoice and remember, together, that their God is kind and generous and the Giver of all gifts that are "good and perfect" (James 1:17).
When Jesus appeared on the scene, He brought the same message. Jesus' first miracle was at a wedding feast (John 2:1-12), and He was noted as one who "feasts and drinks." The Pharisees even used Jesus' noted attendance at parties as an accusation against Him, calling Him a "glutton and drunkard" (Matthew 11:19).
The message of the kingdom is clear: When Jesus is present, there is reason to party. , Winn Collier
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more