Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
During an airline flight, a woman seated next to my friend pulled out a brand-new Bible, still shrink- wrapped. My friend pointed to the unblemished book and remarked, "Now that's a new one!"
The woman smiled and explained that her old Bible, which she quickly retrieved from her carry-on bag, was "full." The blue-ink notes and insights she had written in its margins had left little white space in the bulging, tattered book. So, she was cracking open a new one!
It's obvious that my friend's co-passenger is a woman who literally clings to God's Word. She reminds me of David, who wrote in Psalm 56, "I praise God for what He has promised; yes, I praise the Lord for what He has promised" (v.10). David wrote this song to recount his dreaded experience of being seized by the Philistines (v.1; 1 Samuel 21:11-15). He ended up having to fake being crazy to escape his enemies' clutches. But God comforted him as he safely made it from captivity to freedom (Psalm 56:9).
Both the blue-letter woman, who expressed to my friend her great faith in Jesus, and David shared a common reason for holding on to God's Word: Trust. "I praise God for what He has promised. I trust in God" (vv.4,11).
You may not be big on writing in the margins of your Bible, but I hope you're spending a lot of time in the Word. Without those trust-building moments of meditation, observation, and application, we can be left in a state of devastation when tough times come.
As he celebrated God's deliverance from the Philistines, David wrote, "I can walk in Your presence, O God, in your life-giving light" (v.13). Blue letters don't just happen and neither does deep trust in God. Keep basking in the trust-building light of His Word (Psalm 119:105). , Tom Felten, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more