Myth No MoreWhy must God judge His enemies and make things right?
Top Music Videos
Words That Build Up
1 Corinthians 14:1
Since you are so eager to have the special abilities the Spirit gives, seek those that will
strengthen the whole church (v.12).
Imagine if I were to continue writing this article in
Simplified Chinese script. Even if I were to write in
excellent prose and share some inspiring truths, it
wouldn’t add anything to your life (unless you know
Simplified Chinese). The reason is obvious. Intelligibility
precedes understanding. Everyone can understand that!
Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians, “I would rather speak five
understandable words to help others than ten thousand
words in an unknown language” (14:19). The point of his
words is clear: Let love be your highest goal as you use
your gifting to build up the church.
By way of illustration, Paul compared two gifts—
speaking in tongues and prophesying—to teach that
love and building up others must always be the modus
operandi in the exercising of our spiritual gifts. Without
negating the gift of tongues, Paul said, “I wish you could
all speak in tongues, but even more I wish you could
all prophesy” (v.5). Why? Because prophesying has
a threefold effect: It “strengthens others, encourages
them, and comforts them” (v.3). The one who speaks in
tongues, on the other hand, only builds up himself.
A Bible teacher paraphrased 1 Corinthians 4:12 this
way: “Eagerly desire, as a result of God’s gifting in your
life, to be able to bring the truth of the Word of God to
bear upon the fellowship in which you worship at the
level of teaching, instruction, correction, and rebuke.”
So now that we have taken Paul’s words to heart, what was I saying in the
first sentence of this devo? In English, it means: Words have the power to build
up or tear down.
—Poh Fang Chia
How have you been edifying and building up other believers in Jesus
by your words? What spiritual gifts has God given you which you can
use to help His children?
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more