Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without
good works (v.26).
Did you know that?!” When my student responded
with disbelief at what he had learned in
researching his social justice project, my heart
leapt with excitement. Teaching in a private prep school,
I look for ways to help my students see beyond their
somewhat sheltered world. My delight was short-lived,
however, when he continued by saying that although he
felt bad for those who suffered, he wouldn’t change his
buying habits. You see, one of the companies that uses
sweatshops also happens to make his favorite clothing.
We don’t earn salvation; nor do we earn our way into
the favor and blessing of God. But in his letter to the
early church, James is clear. Faith requires action, or it is
not faith at all.
How this plays out in our daily lives, though, is
another question altogether. While Christians can easily
be labeled for their protests and boycotts, knowledge
creates an interesting dilemma in our understanding
of faith and works. From the choices we make about
media, the way we act in everyday situations, to our
interest in the suffering of those near and far, our lives
should reveal an intimate relationship with the Son
of God who willingly gave His life for our well-being
The Bible says, “For God loved the world so much
that He gave His one and only Son, so that everyone
who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). In the
same way, our works—motivated by our faith in the goodness of God—should
emanate from a heart of love (1 Corinthians 13:3).
A necessary component of our relationship with God (Hebrews 11:6), faith
becomes an opportunity for the love of God to be made visible—through us.
In what part of your life have you struggled to make your faith active?
How can you keep a God-centered focus as you live out your faith?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more