Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
A young woman was living the high life in Beijing. She resided in a private villa, danced her weekends away, and had her own chauffeur.
But she lost it all when new comrades rose to power and threw her father out of his government office. The young woman, however, was not exactly humbled. When friends offered to pay her rent or give her a ride, she would say, "Yes, I will allow you to purchase that for me" or "I grant you permission to do me this favor." Her feeble attempts to retain a charade of privilege annoyed her friends. They would have preferred a simple, "Thank you, I don't know what I would do without you." It's easy to see that she needed a hefty helping of humble gratitude. But don't you and I act similarly toward God when we say that we permit Jesus to be our Lord or we accept Him into our hearts?
We enter this world needy and rebellious, under the curse of sin and death and bound for hell (Romans 3:23, 6:23). When we learn that Jesus gave His life to save us (Philippians 2:8), we sometimes grudgingly announce that we will grant Him this privilege. Theologian Karl Barth noticed this tendency and explained that our professed "openness" toward God may actually be a spiritual way of remaining closed. We concede that we need God's help. But by granting permission for God to save us, we try to retain the power in our relationship. We refuse to admit that we are "this needy man," and even in our poverty we strive to play "the rich man closed against God." Like the young woman from Beijing, we're dying to be in control. That's fitting, because our attempt to keep the upper hand is killing us. Salvation comes when we confess that Jesus is Lord, with or without our permission (v.11). , Mike Wittmer
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more