Top Christian Music Videos
Those who won’t care for their relatives, especially those in their
own household, have denied the true faith (1 Timothy 5:8).
If you feel as if you’re a walking ham and cheese
on rye, there might be good reason. More and
more people are becoming part of the “sandwich
generation.” They’re feeling the squeeze of caring for
children while also supporting parents or parents-in-law.
A recent report reveals that one in five working-age
people in Asia are now officially “sandwiched.”
Boaz and Ruth provide an ancient example of how to
care for ankle-biters and aging parents. After choosing
to take the widow Ruth to be his wife (Ruth 4:10), Boaz
also accepted the responsibility of caring for her aging,
destitute mother-in-law Naomi (v.16). God blessed Boaz
and Ruth with a child whom they named Obed (v.17). In
time, the child would grow and become the grandfather
of King David (v.17).
From this account, we can see two principles that
instruct us when we’re feeling the multigeneration
• God requires that we lovingly care for both children
and parents. Echoing Jesus’ example of making sure
His mother was cared for (John 19:25-27), the apostle
Paul wrote, “Those who won’t care for their relatives . . .
have denied the true faith” (1 Timothy 5:8). In the same
passage, he states that we must care for widows who
are part of our family (v.16).
• The young and the old need each other. It’s
interesting to note that Naomi the widow ended up caring for and nurturing
Obed (Ruth 4:16). What a great picture of a healthy family, with the older
teaching and modeling faith to the younger!
Being sandwiched can be tough. But the blessings that come with extending
one hand to our children and the other to our aging parents are abundant. Just
ask Naomi and Obed.
Note what pleases God in 1 Timothy 5:3. Apply these verses to your
family situation today.
If you’re caring for both kids and parents, what spiritual or material
resources have you not tapped into? Why? If you’re not sandwiched,
how can you help someone you know who is?
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more