Happy at YouDo you know deep down that God loves you dearly?
Top Christian Music Videos
Psalms 96:1 Let the whole earth sing to the Lord! (v.1).
For 160 years, the Free Church of Scotland has not
allowed hymns or any instrumental music to be
played or sung in their public worship. In 1843,
the Free Church split from the Presbyterian Church of
Scotland; and ever since, the Free Church has allowed
only psalms to be sung—and only to be sung a cappella.
However, a vote in an upcoming assembly for the entire
denomination might allow hymns and instrumentation to
be added to the worship mix.
At this historic gathering, the Free Church of Scotland
will be taking Psalm 96:1 quite literally: “Sing a new
song to the Lord!” For the psalmist (and for all of Israel
for whom the psalmbook of prayers and songs was
written), singing was a way of prayer. These psalms
were songs directed toward God, thus prayer. “Sing to
the Lord,” says the psalmist, “praise His name” (v.2).
The Psalms are a collection of prayers primarily
intended for God’s people to sing together. While
private prayer is necessary and good, having the entire
community lift their voices in unison to God is just as
necessary and good.
Part of the beauty of this collective prayer is that
it expresses the vibrant, creative life God is actively
nourishing within His people. This is a “new song,” an
“alive” song, a generative, blossoming, joy-filled song
(v.1). God is not distant. God is present now, active now,
stirring up new things. The community’s singing of prayers announces God’s
actions to the whole world. The Psalms allow us to “proclaim the good news that
[God] saves” and to “publish [God’s] glorious deeds among the nations” (vv.2-3).
We sing because our prayer-songs express our deepest joy, and we
want others to hear and then sing along. Let’s teach the world to truly sing.
Read Ephesians 5:15. What role does music play in this teaching?
What is the singing in opposition to—and what is it in harmony with?
What does the act of singing evoke in you, and how does this inform
your understanding of prayer? Where in your life should you be singing
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more