Top Christian Music Videos
Psalms 96:1 Let the whole earth sing to the Lord! (v.1).
For 160 years, the Free Church of Scotland has not
allowed hymns or any instrumental music to be
played or sung in their public worship. In 1843,
the Free Church split from the Presbyterian Church of
Scotland; and ever since, the Free Church has allowed
only psalms to be sung—and only to be sung a cappella.
However, a vote in an upcoming assembly for the entire
denomination might allow hymns and instrumentation to
be added to the worship mix.
At this historic gathering, the Free Church of Scotland
will be taking Psalm 96:1 quite literally: “Sing a new
song to the Lord!” For the psalmist (and for all of Israel
for whom the psalmbook of prayers and songs was
written), singing was a way of prayer. These psalms
were songs directed toward God, thus prayer. “Sing to
the Lord,” says the psalmist, “praise His name” (v.2).
The Psalms are a collection of prayers primarily
intended for God’s people to sing together. While
private prayer is necessary and good, having the entire
community lift their voices in unison to God is just as
necessary and good.
Part of the beauty of this collective prayer is that
it expresses the vibrant, creative life God is actively
nourishing within His people. This is a “new song,” an
“alive” song, a generative, blossoming, joy-filled song
(v.1). God is not distant. God is present now, active now,
stirring up new things. The community’s singing of prayers announces God’s
actions to the whole world. The Psalms allow us to “proclaim the good news that
[God] saves” and to “publish [God’s] glorious deeds among the nations” (vv.2-3).
We sing because our prayer-songs express our deepest joy, and we
want others to hear and then sing along. Let’s teach the world to truly sing.
Read Ephesians 5:15. What role does music play in this teaching?
What is the singing in opposition to—and what is it in harmony with?
What does the act of singing evoke in you, and how does this inform
your understanding of prayer? Where in your life should you be singing
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more