Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Psalms 96:1 Let the whole earth sing to the Lord! (v.1).
For 160 years, the Free Church of Scotland has not
allowed hymns or any instrumental music to be
played or sung in their public worship. In 1843,
the Free Church split from the Presbyterian Church of
Scotland; and ever since, the Free Church has allowed
only psalms to be sung—and only to be sung a cappella.
However, a vote in an upcoming assembly for the entire
denomination might allow hymns and instrumentation to
be added to the worship mix.
At this historic gathering, the Free Church of Scotland
will be taking Psalm 96:1 quite literally: “Sing a new
song to the Lord!” For the psalmist (and for all of Israel
for whom the psalmbook of prayers and songs was
written), singing was a way of prayer. These psalms
were songs directed toward God, thus prayer. “Sing to
the Lord,” says the psalmist, “praise His name” (v.2).
The Psalms are a collection of prayers primarily
intended for God’s people to sing together. While
private prayer is necessary and good, having the entire
community lift their voices in unison to God is just as
necessary and good.
Part of the beauty of this collective prayer is that
it expresses the vibrant, creative life God is actively
nourishing within His people. This is a “new song,” an
“alive” song, a generative, blossoming, joy-filled song
(v.1). God is not distant. God is present now, active now,
stirring up new things. The community’s singing of prayers announces God’s
actions to the whole world. The Psalms allow us to “proclaim the good news that
[God] saves” and to “publish [God’s] glorious deeds among the nations” (vv.2-3).
We sing because our prayer-songs express our deepest joy, and we
want others to hear and then sing along. Let’s teach the world to truly sing.
Read Ephesians 5:15. What role does music play in this teaching?
What is the singing in opposition to—and what is it in harmony with?
What does the act of singing evoke in you, and how does this inform
your understanding of prayer? Where in your life should you be singing
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more