Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
But if you are bitterly jealous and there is selfish ambition in your
heart, don’t cover up the truth with boasting and lying (v.14).
The first time I met her, something in our interaction
truly bothered me. A day later, I was praying to
God and searching my heart to see why I felt so
unsettled around my new acquaintance. After all, it had
been a pretty typical social gathering, and I usually
enjoy getting to know people. Still sorting it out today,
I’ve asked the Holy Spirit to show me whether I was truly
sensing something negative and real or if I was simply
caught up in the comparison game once again.
When it comes to dealing with jealousy, we
sometimes try to bury our feelings or “pretty them up”
with some spiritual-sounding words. But when we truly
touch base with the truth, jealousy is just plain ugly.
James even goes so far as to say, “Jealousy and
selfishness are not God’s kind of wisdom. Such things
are earthly, unspiritual, and demonic. . . . There you
will find disorder and evil of every kind” (3:15-16). Did
you notice it says jealousy is demonic? Although this
word may appear strong, when it comes to the trap of
comparing ourselves to others, we know that this practice
originated with the father of lies.
Have you experienced a selfish desire for something
belonging to another person? Have you felt that strong
emotional response as you’ve been sizing up others?
Whether we diminish ourselves or someone else because
we fail to measure up, the result is destructive (vv.9-10).
Pushing our feelings down inside doesn’t make the green-eyed monster go
away. When our words—spoken or not—begin to show a change from fresh
to bitter water (vv.11-12), we need to reveal the darkness in our hearts to God
and experience the healing power of His Word. Only He can help us overcome
Read 1 Corinthians 3:1 to see how jealousy can affect our spiritual growth
and our relationships within the church.
What are some signs that you’re feeling jealous? How can God and His
Word help you deal with the jealousy you’ve been experiencing?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more