Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
Last year, Tiger Woods' public persona unraveled as one moral failure after another rushed to light. While this sad occasion offers us another opportunity to critique the feeding frenzy of pop journalism as well as the idol status we offer our celebrities (a status they could never live up to), it also provides each of us a sober reminder. If we're honest, the image we present to others is often at odds with the life we actually live.
When John the Baptist appeared, traipsing around in the wild in camel-hair clothes and eating a strange diet, he preached one steady refrain. Change your behavior, Jesus is coming (v.4). For their entire history, Israel had looked for the Messiah to come and rescue them. Now, John announced that it was actually happening, the Rescuer was on His way. Israel, however, was in bad shape. They had forgotten God; and if Israel wanted to be ready for Jesus, they had a lot of cleaning up to do.
John wasn't one to mince words. In one instance, he called the gathered crowd a "brood of vipers" (v.7 NIV). A viper was a dangerous, poisonous snake, and John wanted the people to hear plainly that the path they were on (spurning God), was a dangerous way to live.
Many heard John's sobering words and asked the most sensible question: "What should we do?" (v.10). John's response was direct: â€¢ If you have extra coats or food, give to those in need (v.11). â€¢ If you're a tax collector, don't cheat anyone (v.13). â€¢ If you're a soldier, don't use your power unjustly (v.14).
John spoke to everyone, from the common person to those with power, and told them to live truthfully, honestly, justly. God is coming, and He is bringing justice with Him. Are we ready? , Winn Collier
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more