Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
Last year, Tiger Woods' public persona unraveled as one moral failure after another rushed to light. While this sad occasion offers us another opportunity to critique the feeding frenzy of pop journalism as well as the idol status we offer our celebrities (a status they could never live up to), it also provides each of us a sober reminder. If we're honest, the image we present to others is often at odds with the life we actually live.
When John the Baptist appeared, traipsing around in the wild in camel-hair clothes and eating a strange diet, he preached one steady refrain. Change your behavior, Jesus is coming (v.4). For their entire history, Israel had looked for the Messiah to come and rescue them. Now, John announced that it was actually happening, the Rescuer was on His way. Israel, however, was in bad shape. They had forgotten God; and if Israel wanted to be ready for Jesus, they had a lot of cleaning up to do.
John wasn't one to mince words. In one instance, he called the gathered crowd a "brood of vipers" (v.7 NIV). A viper was a dangerous, poisonous snake, and John wanted the people to hear plainly that the path they were on (spurning God), was a dangerous way to live.
Many heard John's sobering words and asked the most sensible question: "What should we do?" (v.10). John's response was direct: â€¢ If you have extra coats or food, give to those in need (v.11). â€¢ If you're a tax collector, don't cheat anyone (v.13). â€¢ If you're a soldier, don't use your power unjustly (v.14).
John spoke to everyone, from the common person to those with power, and told them to live truthfully, honestly, justly. God is coming, and He is bringing justice with Him. Are we ready? , Winn Collier
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more