Finding RefugeWhat does it mean for God to be your true refuge?
Top Christian Music Videos
These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold— though your faith is far more precious than mere gold (v.7).
In November 2011, Mike and Nancy Rogers were married as the lodge in which they were supposed to be wed burned to the ground behind them. The blaze destroyed the beautiful building—including a kitchen, conference center, pool, and guesthouses—as the wedding party retreated to another building for the ceremony. The wedding gifts and flowers were destroyed, but Nancy said, “We lost all that stuff, but that’s not important to us. We got the most important things.”
It’s true, as the flames surged, new life—a sacred, covenant relationship (Genesis 2:24)—was established. Whether before, during, or after the ceremony, all married couples will be tried by the faith-testing flames of this world. Paul wrote, “Trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold” (1 Peter 1:7). If you, or someone you know, is experiencing a time of testing in marriage, there are three things to keep in mind:
• Trials can torch the stuff of this world, but they can’t burn away true faith and love. There is a “wonderful joy ahead” (v.6) for those who persist in their faith and in loving their spouse—even when material things or other precious things have been lost.
• Trials can refine faith and marital relationships. When you choose to “love [God] even though you have never seen Him” (v.8), even as the stuff you see is crumbling around you, your precious faith and marriage is being tempered—made stronger (v.7).
• Trials are temporal, but God’s promises are eternal. Keep your focus on Jesus and your great reward of salvation (v.9) when the fires of this world are raging around you. They’re simply sacred flames that can purify your faith and marriage.
Read Romans 12:10-12 and apply Paul’s instructions on love and perseverance to your marriage and/or close relationships.
How have you been viewing God and your spouse (if you’re married) when you’ve been going through trials? Why is it vital that we see trials as purifying agents?
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more