Hidden SinsHow have you been trying to deal with your sin?
Top Music Videos
So it was God who sent me here, not you! And He is the one who made me an adviser to Pharaoh—the manager of his entire palace and the governor of all Egypt (v.8).
Hearing an infant cry at bedtime can be one of the most unnerving situations for young parents to handle. When my wife and I first encountered this phenomenon, we struggled to resist the urge to go into our baby’s room and console her little heart. We would peek through the door from time to time—making sure she wasn’t actually hurt or in danger—but we refrained from going in.
Why do parents put their infants (and themselves) through such misery? Because, among other reasons, we’re giving our little ones the opportunity to learn that the world doesn’t revolve around them. (Okay, maybe it does when they’re infants, but we don’t want them to know it!)
We also refrain from picking up newborns every time they whimper, helping them to develop a resiliency that will aid them later as they move through difficult situations. And even though it might not have seemed like it, we were with our kids through all the sobs and tears.
Likewise, we may not feel God’s presence in the midst of difficult times, but that doesn’t mean He’s not there— working behind the scenes. Joseph was a person who had reasons to feel like God wasn’t present in his life. His jealous brothers sold him into slavery (Genesis 37:12-28). Then he was carted off to a foreign land where he was sent to prison for a crime he didn’t commit (39:1-20).
But even in an Egyptian prison “the Lord was with [him]” (vv.20-21). As Joseph would explain many years later to his brothers who had betrayed him, “You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people” (50:20).
God is there, even when His presence isn’t immediately felt.
On more than one occasion, Joseph stressed to his brothers that it was God, not they, who sent him to Egypt. Re-read Genesis 45:4-8.
When did God’s providential hand work in your life in a way that you didn’t initially see? How have you felt God’s presence recently?
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more