Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
British builder Ian Taylor tried to make a point by sawing his Ford Fiesta in half after parking officers "booted" the car. It was parked a measly 2 inches over the line, and he would have had to fork over $400 to free the $100 car he planned to give to his stepson. In case you're siding with this guy, let me finish the story. As Mr. Taylor sawed away, the car eventually caught on fire. This required firefighters and police to douse the flames and secure the area to keep bystanders safe.
When we refuse correction, consequences follow. But, accepting discipline, either from God or earthly authorities, "yields a peaceful harvest of right living" (Hebrews 12:11), and it has a meaningful payoff when it comes to disciplining our own children.
Our response to correction sets an example for our kids. As Solomon said, "If you reject discipline, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding" (Proverbs 15:32). When we mess up, our kids need to see us humbly accept and learn from the consequences. That way, they'll know what to do when we discipline them.
Our own submission to authority not only models how our kids should respond to our discipline, but it also teaches them to respect God's correction as they grow older. The writer of Hebrews puts it this way: "God's discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in His holiness" (12:10).
Experiencing the correction that God allows has tons of benefits: assurance of His love (v.6), a sense of belonging (v.7), and even the peace that comes from right living (v.11). But for parents, there's more. The key to correcting our children may begin with accepting discipline, not resisting the "boot." , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more