Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
British builder Ian Taylor tried to make a point by sawing his Ford Fiesta in half after parking officers "booted" the car. It was parked a measly 2 inches over the line, and he would have had to fork over $400 to free the $100 car he planned to give to his stepson. In case you're siding with this guy, let me finish the story. As Mr. Taylor sawed away, the car eventually caught on fire. This required firefighters and police to douse the flames and secure the area to keep bystanders safe.
When we refuse correction, consequences follow. But, accepting discipline, either from God or earthly authorities, "yields a peaceful harvest of right living" (Hebrews 12:11), and it has a meaningful payoff when it comes to disciplining our own children.
Our response to correction sets an example for our kids. As Solomon said, "If you reject discipline, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding" (Proverbs 15:32). When we mess up, our kids need to see us humbly accept and learn from the consequences. That way, they'll know what to do when we discipline them.
Our own submission to authority not only models how our kids should respond to our discipline, but it also teaches them to respect God's correction as they grow older. The writer of Hebrews puts it this way: "God's discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in His holiness" (12:10).
Experiencing the correction that God allows has tons of benefits: assurance of His love (v.6), a sense of belonging (v.7), and even the peace that comes from right living (v.11). But for parents, there's more. The key to correcting our children may begin with accepting discipline, not resisting the "boot." , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more