Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Diplomas in the Deep
Everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing
Christ Jesus my Lord (v.8).
In the early 1900s, John went to the US to receive his education. He completed his bachelor’s, master’s, and Ph.D. degrees in just 5 years. But he was troubled by the question: “What do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?” (Matthew 16:26). He ended up enrolling in a theological seminary, only to be confused by professors who had rejected the Bible.
One night, while searching God’s Word for answers, John’s soul was suddenly transformed. But the seminary rejected his conversion experience and had him confined in an asylum! In the 193 days he was there, he read through the Bible 40 times. Upon his release, he returned to China. While on the ship, he threw overboard all of his diplomas and awards—keeping only his doctorate for his father. Sòng Shàng-Jíe (or John Sung) then devoted his life to winning souls among the Chinese throughout Asia.
To the world, John Sung’s actions were inexplicable. But they would have resonated with Paul, another brilliant student. Trained to be an expert in the law by the nation’s foremost legal mind (Acts 22:3), his credentials were unrivaled (Philippians 3:5). But after he met Jesus, his life was radically transformed (Acts 9:1). Instead of becoming a professor, he became “a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of good news” (2 Timothy 2:11) to the Gentiles (Acts 9:15).
Paul “threw away” all of his diplomas and awards. His rationale? “I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless . . . when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage” (Philippians 3:7).
The apostle Paul and John Sung knew with certainty that, as Jim Elliot said, “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.” Do you?
What did Paul mean when he said, “God’s way of making us right with Himself depends on faith”? (Philippians 3:9).
What do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? What will you change to surrender your whole life to Jesus?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more